18- Cute and clumsy

(Y/N) pov

It was already the third day of the test. Before noon, I quietly left the camp.

Chabashira-sensei, who was reading a book next to her tent, stared at me for a few seconds. I pretended not to notice.

"What do you think of this place? What do you see when you look around?"

For some reason, Kouenji's words left me pensive. It was almost as if he found out something when he said that.

Sakura: "Ahh, ahh, ahh... Where are you going now, L/N-kun?"

I looked at Sakura, who was out of breath. Apparently she saw me leaving the camp and decided to chase after me.

(Y/N): "Remember how I tied a handkerchief around a tree? I wanted to check something."

Sakura: "I-it's probably not okay for me to come with you, right?" She said smiling bitterly.

I was planning to go alone, but I would feel bad for her if I refused.

(Y/N): "You can come if you want. People might start talking if they see us alone, though."

Sakura looked up at me and her eyes seemed to lighten up.

Sakura: "T- that doesn't bother me at all."

(Y/N): "Then that's fine."

We started walking, looking for the place where I tied the handkerchief.

(Y/N): "Are you getting along with the other girls?"

Sakura: "N-no... We don't really talk or anything." She muttered.

I'm sure that Kikyou and her group of friends would gladly accept Sakura, but a bunch of girls suddenly talking to Sakura would be too much for her.

(Y/N): "It's okay, Sakura. You'll make friends soon. And then school will become much more fun."

Our eyes met for a moment and Sakura quickly averted her gaze. The fact that she wasn't able to look to another person's eyes showed that she was still far from her goal.

Sakura: "It seems like he resigned... That guy from the store."

Sakura was relieved that he was gone. Apparently that guy did have some decency, after all.

Sakura: "Thank you for everything... Everything worked out thanks to you, L/N-kun."

(Y/N): "I'm glad I was helpful. Remember that you can talk to me if something else happens."

Sakura smiled happily and nodded.

After walking for a while, I finally spotted the handkerchief tied on a tree. I took it and handed it back to Sakura.

I once again scanned the surroundings, but nothing stood out at first sight.

(Y/N): "Did you notice something?"

Sakura: "No... It looks the same as the first day."

(Y/N): "Let's look around for a bit."

Sakura: "Okay."

We made use of our five senses, trying to find something out of the ordinary.

Sakura: "Wha-?

Sakura, who had been searching behind some bushes, shriecked in surprise.

I approached her to see what she was looking at.

Sakura: "Is this... corn?"

(Y/N): "Seems like it."