Chapter Two: Luminescent

We made our way down the hill, walking through the waist-high grass. The farmhouse was pretty simple, shingles from the roof to the ground and one lone chimney in the middle. Eragon passed the barn and walked up the porch steps, knocking on the sturdy wooden door.

"Uncle, it's us. Let us in." We waited for a few seconds before the door swung open, revealing Garrow.

"Roran's asleep." Garrow curtly replied. I walked over to a wooden table that currently holds a single flickering lamp. I swung my pack off my shoulder and onto the table with a slight thunk. I began to pull the meats out of my pack and onto the table.

"What's this? Did you two buy meat? Where did you get the money?" Garrow demanded in a harsh tone.

"No, Horst bought it for us."

"You let him pay for it? I told you before. I won't beg for our food. If we can't feed ourselves, we might as well move into town. Before you can turn twice, they'll be sending us used clothes and asking if we'll be able to make it through winter." Garrow snapped back in anger.

"I didn't accept charity. Horst agreed to let me work off the debt this spring. He needs someone to help him because Albriech is going away."

"And where will you get the time to work for him? Are you going to ignore all the things that need to be done here?" Eragon and I hung our hunting equipment by the door.

"I don't know how I'll do it. Besides, we found some things that could be worth some money." Eragon said as we set the two stones on the table. Garrow scrutinized the stones in front of us with a hungry look.

"You two found these in the Spine?"

"Yes," Eragon said before explaining how the stone came into our possession.

"How was the weather?"

"Cold, froze over every night, no snow yet, though."

"Tomorrow you two will have to help Roran finish harvesting the barley. If we can get the squash picked too, the frost won't bother us." Garrow pushed the two stones back to us. "Here, you two keep these. When the traders come, we'll find out what it's worth. Selling it is probably the best thing to do. The less we're involved with magic, the better. Why did Horst pay for the meat?"

Eragon explained the argument with the butcher.

"I just don't understand what angered him so?" Eragon muttered while rubbing the back of his head.

"Sloan's wife, Ismira, went over the Igualda Falls a year before you were brought here. He hasn't been near the Spine since, nor had anything to do with it. But that's no reason to refuse payment. I think he wanted to give you trouble."

I held onto Eragon as he began to sway with exhaustion.

"Uncle, it is good to be back, and I do believe Eragon needs rest." Garrow softened his eyes at me as I held Eragon up. He nodded to me, and I pulled Eragon in the direction of our room. I let go of Eragon and slid the two stones under my bed before climbing under my covers and falling asleep quickly.

Morning came soon enough when sunlight streamed from my window onto my face, slowly warming it up. I flickered my eyes open and put a hand up to cover the brightly shining sun. I swung my legs over my bed and let my feet rest on the cold pine floor. Today was Eragon's birthday. He finally turned sixteen, the age where a boy became a man.

I slipped out of my bed and walked over to the plain dresser Eragon, and I shared. Since it was a special occasion, I can wear the green dress I had been saving. I pulled out the dress and stared at it, I have never worn anything as lovely as this before, and this dress was pretty dull. I quietly shut the drawer and headed for the bathroom to change. I set the dress on the counter and glanced up at the mirror. I forgot to take my headscarf off last night.

My headscarf only covered my ears and forehead. I wasn't too fond of people looking at me so I covered up as much as I could. I started to unwrap the scarf, letting my black hair fall and my pointed ears peak out. I was the only one in Carvahall who had pointed ears, thus the reason for hiding them. I don't think the people would take too kindly at my different appearance.

I've been told that my mother was an elf and my father a human explaining my semi-human, semi elf look. I inherited my mother's ears, but my eyes are only slightly slanted, giving me a more human appearance, and for that, I was thankful. I set the scarf down and began to change out of my dirty working clothes and into the clean green dress. I scrubbed my face free of any dirt and rewrapped my hair.

I went back to Eragon and I's room just as Eragon was pulling on his boots.

"Good morning." Eragon looked up at me and did a double-take.

"You look nice today Mal, how did you get a dress that nice?" I smiled at him and did a twirl, gasping the skirts and spreading them.

"It's one of Katrina's old dresses that she outgrew. She gave it to me so I could have at least one nice dress for a special occasion. Speaking of special occasions, happy sixteenth birthday Eragon." Eragon gave me a bright smile before splashing his face with water from a bowl on our nightstand. As he was splashing himself, I crouched down and pulled out the two mysterious stones.

I handed Eragon the blue stone before sitting on my bed and running my fingers over my diamond white stone. It was gorgeous, now having a closer view I could see tiny veins twisting across the surface. I watched as the sunlight refracted off the stone and shone around the room, when the time came, I don't know if I will be able to part with this stone.

"We should go and join Garrow and Roran at the breakfast table," Eragon said, placing the stone on his bed. I sighed and did the same, feeling sad to let the stone leave my hands, we left our room headed to the kitchen where I could hear Garrow and Roran in conversation.

"Good morning." Eragon and I greeted the two. Roman stood up and gave us a big grin. Eragon helped himself to some chicken while I went with a small bunch of mixed greens.

"I'm glad you two are back, how was the trip."

"Hard, did uncle tell you what happened?" Roman shook his head at us.

"No, what happened?" Eragon preceded to tell the story. Roran perked up when Eragon described the stones.

"Can you show me?" Eragon and I hurried back to our room and picked up our stones. We showed Roran, and he stared at them in awe before we took them back to our room.

"Were you able to talk to Katrina?" Roran asked nervously.

"No, there wasn't an opportunity after the argument with Sloan. But she'll expect you when the traders come. I gave the message to Horst; he will get it to her."

"You told Horst?" Roman asked in semi fury. "That was private. If I wanted everyone to know, I would have built a bonfire and used smoke signals to communicate. If Sloan finds out, he won't let me see her again."

"Calm Roran," I said, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Horst will be discrete. He won't let anyone fall prey to Sloan, least of all you." We finished our meal and headed out to work in the fields, we got the last of the barley in the barn and started to gather the squash and rutabaga, beets, peas, turnips, and beans, which we packed into our root cellar. After several hours of labor, we finished, and we could stretch our worn-out muscles.

The following days we spent pickling, salting, shelling, and preparing the food for the winter. Nine days after Eragon and I got back from our trip a nasty blizzard blew from the mountains and onto the valley practically smothering it in snow. We spent the days holed up in the house, only leaving to feed the animals.

"I'm afraid the traders might not come this year, with conditions this bad. They're late as it is. We'll give them a chance and wait before going to Carvahall. But if they don't show soon, we'll have to buy any spare supplies from the townspeople." Garrow said with a deep sigh.

It was another nine days until Eragon came across the familiar ruts and hoof prints on the trail, the traders finally came. We quickly packed our surplus produce into our wagon while Garrow fastened the purse that had our year's earnings in it to his belt. I wrapped the two stones in cloth before settling them in between sacks of oats so they would not roll around.

We quickly ate breakfast before harnessing the horses to the wagon and setting out to Carvahall. It was noon by the time we reached the town. It was bustling with noise and warmth from the multiple fires. Garrow parked the wagon and picketed the horses before pulling some coins out of his purse.

"Get yourselves some treats, Roran, do what you want, only be at Horst's in time for supper. Eragon, you and Mal are coming with me so grab the stones and Mal, no refusing the coins, you've earned a treat." Garrow said before placing the coins in my hand.

Eragon and I followed Garrow through the crowd in search of Merlock's tent. I looked around and noticed that the usual cheery traders seemed weary and sported swords and daggers. What would make them get this defensive? Is that the reason why they are so late?

"And what might you sirs and lady want to look at? An amulet or a trinket for the lady?" Murdock pulled out a pretty silver carved rose. "Not even three crowns, though it has come from the famed craftsmen of Belatona."

"We aren't looking to buy, but to sell." Murdock quickly covered the rose from sight.

"I see, maybe this item is of any value, you would like to trade it for one or two of these exquisite pieces. You did bring the object of consideration?"

"We have them, but we would rather show it to you elsewhere." Murdock raised an eyebrow at us but answered smoothly.

"In that case, let me invite you to my tent," Murdock said before locking up his items in a sturdy metal chest. He ushered us up to the street and into his tent. His tent was full of trinkets and baubles. "Please, seat yourselves."

We sat down at a small round wooden table in the center of the tent.

"Now show me why we are meeting in private." Eragon and I pulled out the two stones and set them on the table, Murdock suddenly got a gleam in his eye and looked at Garrow. "May I?"

Garrow nodded, and Murdock lifted the blue stone into his lap before opening a chest full of scales and tools. He weighed it and scrutinized the stone under a jewelers glass before tapping it gently with a mallet. He measured the stone and recorded the information before setting it back on the table and repeating the process with the white stone.

"Do you know what they're worth each?" Garrow shifted uncomfortably next to me before responding.

"No." Murdock grimaced at Garrow's response.

"Unfortunately, neither do I. But I can tell you think much, the white veins are the same material as the blue and other white one, but they are comprised of the same color. What material it might be, I haven't a clue. It's harder than any rock I have seen, even harder than a diamond. Whoever shaped this used tools I have never seen--or magic. Also, it's hollow."

"What?"

"Did you ever hear a rock sound like this?" Murdock said before taking out a dagger and slapping the side of it one the stone making a clear ringing noise fill the air. I immediately drew the white stone closer to me. "You will find no scratches or blemishes where the dagger struck. I doubt I could do anything to harm this stone, even if I took a hammer to it."

"But what are they worth?"

"I can't tell you that. I am sure some people would pay dearly to have them, but none of them are in Carvahall. You would have to go to one of the southern cities to find a buyer. This is a curiosity for most people— not an item to spend money on when practical things are needed."

"Will you buy them."

"It's not worth the risk. I might be able to find a wealthy buyer during my spring travels, but I can't be certain. Even if I did, you wouldn't be paid until I return next year. No, you will have to find some else to trade it. I am curious, why did you insist on talking to me in private?"

"Mal and I found these in the Spine, folks around here don't like that," Eragon explained.

"Do you know why my fellow merchants were late this year?" Eragon and I shook our heads.

"Our wanderings have been dogged with misfortune. Chaos seems to rule Alagaesia. We could not avoid illness, attacks, and the most cursed bad luck. Because the Varden's attacks have increased, Galbatorix has forced cities to send more soldiers to the borders, men who are needed to combat the Urgals. The brutes have been migrating southeast, towards the Hadarac Desert. No one knows why and it wouldn't concern us except that they're passing through populated areas. They've been spotted on roads, and neighboring cities, Worst of all are reports of a shade, though the stories are unconfirmed. Not many people survive such an encounter."

"Why haven't we heard of this." Eragon cried.

"Because it only began a few months ago. Whole villages have been forced to move because Urgals destroyed their fields and starvation threatens."

"Nonsense," Garrow growled. "We haven't seen any Urgals; the only one around here with horns is the one mounted in Morn's tavern."

"Maybe so, but this is a small village hidden by mountains. It's not surprising that you've escaped notice. However, I wouldn't expect that to last. I only mentioned this because of the strange things happening here as well if you found such stones in the Spine." We left Murdock's tent and started to wander back to Carvahall.

"What do you think, Uncle?" Eragon asked as he and I trailed behind the glowering man.

"I'm going to get more information before I make up my mind. Take the stones back to the wagon, then do whatever you two want. I'll meet you for dinner at Horst's." We split up. Eragon and I dashed back to the wagon, hiding the stones underneath the oats. It would take Garrow hours to trade, so we had a bunch of time on our hands.

We wandered around the many tents eyeing the food and trinkets each carried. All the merchants we talked to about the unrest in Alagaesia confirmed what Murdock told us. After Eragon bought three sticks of malt candy and a small hot cherry pie, we settled down on a nearby porch and watched the people of Carvahall pass by.

"Eragon, we should leave, I just saw Sloan, we don't want any more trouble," I said standing up, he nodded at me, and we darted in the direction of Morn's tavern. We entered the tavern and inhaled the smoke from the candles and heard the chatter among men.

"Ah, Eragon, Miss Mal! Good to see you, where is Garrow?"

"Buying, he's going to be awhile."

"And is Roran around this time?"

"Yes, no sick animals to keep him back this year."

"Good, good." Eragon and I glanced at two very noisy merchants.

"Who are they?" Eragon said, pointing to the two men.

"Grain buyers bought everyone's seed at ridiculously low prices, and now they're telling wild stories, expecting us to believe them." Morn said in disgust. I shook my head at the merchants, the people here really needed that money, and they were getting swindled.

"What kind of stories."

"They say the Varden have formed a pact with the Urgals and are massing an army to attack us. Supposedly, it's only through the grace of our king that we've been protected for so long. As if Galbatorix would care if we burned to the ground, go listen to them. I have enough on my hands without explaining lies."

Eragon and I headed over to the two merchants, one was portly, and the other drenched in jewels.

"No, no, you don't understand. It is only through the king's unnecessary efforts on our behalf that you can argue with us in safety. If he, in all his wisdom, were to withdraw his support, woe unto you."

"Right, why don't you tell us the Riders have returned, and you've each killed a hundred elves. Do you think we're children to believe in your tales? We can take care of ourselves." A person from the crowd yelled.

"You misunderstand. We know the Empire cannot care for each of us personally, as you may want, but it can keep Urgals and other abominations from overrunning this place. You're angry with the Empire for maltreating people, a legitimate concern, but a government cannot please everyone. There will inevitably be arguments and conflicts. However, the majority of us have nothing to complain about. Every country has some small group of malcontents who aren't satisfied with the balance of power."