Chapter Thirty-Eight: Radiant

It was the day I planned to leave the comfort of Urû'Baen, and head back to Surda. The clothes I had selected for my travels was of sturdy linen, dark grey trimmed with a lighter grey.

Venturing into the part of my closet that held several different types of cloaks, I pulled one that was a neutral canvas beige and threw it onto my bed. It was at this time Frida, and Lydia hustled into my room for their usual morning routine.

"Your highness," Frida exclaimed as Lydia started to straighten the sheets on my bed. "We didn't realize that you were already up!"

"Yes," I said as I ran a hand through my loose hair. "I am heading out for the day and forgot to mention it."

"Is there anything we can do to help?" I looked at Frida, and sadness rushed into my body. I was going to leave these two maids without a word, I was going to leave Tolme with goodbye, I was going to leave Urû'Baen without notice like I had only been a ghost.

"What type of outing were you planning?" Lydia asked as I sat down in front of my vanity.

"I was thinking of going for a ride, it has been far too long since I have done so," I responded as someone knocked on my bedroom door. Frida went to my door and cracked it open, she exchanged a few words before I heard the door shut.

"Is something wrong?" I asked as Lydia started to gather my hair in her hands.

"Just a delivery, your highness," Frida said as she walked over and placed a silk-wrapped object on my vanity. "Since you are heading out for a ride, we will prepare you so."

Frida took over my hair from Lydia and promptly began to pull the black strands tight as she French braided my hair along my scalp. Lydia applied light amounts of kohl and lip paint, as she had gotten in the habit of doing, before walking over to my jewelry chest.

"Do you have any preferences?"

"My leather necklace and the crown I arrived with," I answered as I fingered the sapphire necklace I always wore. Frida finished braiding my hair and tied it off with a blue ribbon. Lydia trotted over with my jewelry and crown in hand.

"This crown is a straightforward design, but I find that its simplicity is what makes it so beautiful," Frida said as she placed the crown delicately on my head. "Where did you find such a thing?"

"The Dwarf King," I replied as Lydia secured Murtagh's necklace around my neck. "It was one of the many presents I received while I stayed in Tronjheim."

"The Dwarves domain!" Lydia exclaimed. "I've heard tales of their craftsmanship, but I find myself wary of enclosed spaces."

"It might seem claustrophobic at first," I responded. "but the ceilings are quite high, and after some time, I found myself forgetting that I was even under the mountain."

"We're done, your highness," Frida said as she stepped away. "I believe it is wash day, if you require anything, send for us, we shall be in the laundry."

"Thank you," I replied, smiling at the two in the mirror. "You've been more help than I deserve."

"Nonsense, it is our duty," Frida said as she waved a hand. The two bowed before ducking out of my room, leaving me in silence. I got up from my seat and pulled out a leather bag I had quired a week prior.

Into the bag went the stolen maps, the package that was delivered this morning, copied scrolls, and notes, along with food and my waterskin. Once I gathered and placed my items into the bag, I sat on the edge of my bed and pulled my tall boots on.