Chapter Twenty-Eight: Radiant

My feet were silent on the polished stone flooring as I walked down the hallway. I passed many rooms and many guards and ended up near a place that was very heavily guarded. I headed straight for the doors and slowly pushed one open. The guards didn't even bat an eyelash.

At the center of the room was a shiny green dragon egg, the last dragon egg. I walked around the pedestal that held the egg slowly, looking at the fine webbing across the shell. Memories of Alethea's egg returned to me, our time together when she was just a newborn hatchling. I stopped circling the egg and ran a finger down the side of the egg. This egg was just as smooth as Alethea's was.

I then ran all of my fingers across the shell, I wanted to take off with this egg and run back to the Varden, but I couldn't do that. I still had a lot more to do here.

"Beautiful isn't it." I didn't bother turning around.

"Yes, it is. It won't hatch for me though if that's what you're wanting. I'm not the person for this hatchling." I murmured, sliding my fingers down the shell once more before removing them.

"Will you please join me for dinner? I am sure you are hungry." I turned around to face Galbatorix and inclined my head.

"Indeed, I am." Galbatorix swiftly turned around and strode back down the hallway with me following closely from behind. After a few turns, we ended up in a dining room that was drenched in onyx. I guess my father had a thing for black. I sat down in the chair opposite from Galbatorix's as servants came in with plates of food.

"How is your mother doing?" His question took me off guard. I blinked for a few moments before responding.

"She is getting by though she can be quite emotional sometimes. She wasn't happy when I left her to travel to Surda." I spoke calmly and evenly. "...she still loves you."

I spoke the last words quietly, Galbatorix had an inscrutable look on his face before he sighed and picked up his fork.

"That sounds like Wënyalín," I picked up my fork and started to eat the fruits and vegetables in front of me nimbly.

"What is it that you want me to do? I highly doubt I have anything that could be of use to you or the empire."

"Someone has to carry on my bloodline, why not my own daughter?"

"So you want me to marry." Galbatorix crossed his fingers in front of himself and leaned back.

"If you wish to put it that bluntly, yes. I only want what is best for you." I was a little disturbed at how ordinary Galbatorix was right now. I haven't seen a wink of the madman I know is in there. Dinner progressed normally until Galbatorix excused himself for a meeting with his 'advisors.'

I placed my napkin on my empty plate before gracefully rising from my seat and heading into the hall that overlooked a good portion of the city. The glittering lights were harsher than the ones in Ellesméra, and I found myself missing the vast forest of Du Weldenvarden. A flash of color reflected off a mass in the sky. Murtagh, he must be back, I watched as the massive red dragon descended into an area I presumed was his nest.

He was too big for his age; Galbatorix must have sped up his growth with magic. My heart cried for the hatchling that was born under my father's control. I stopped staring at where the dragon and Murtagh had disappeared to and started to walk down the hall again. There has to be a balcony around here somewhere so I can breathe fresh air. The air inside Galbatorix's castle was heavy and weighed me down.