Chapter Sixty-Four: Blinding

I woke up with my face buried in Murtagh's chest. The nights had gotten cold enough that us Rider's had taken shelter underneath our Dragon's wings. Naturally, I was sleeping next to Murtagh, so we slept underneath both Alethea and Thorn who liked to wrap their bodies around one another.

I had been right about it taking nearly a week to find a place for all of the Eldunarí we had blown through several days sorting through the heart-of-hearts'. At one point, all three of our dragons had returned to the mainland to fill up their bellies before returning.

"Eragon is leaving today," Murtagh said. I blinked my eyes open and squinted up at him.

"I suppose that makes sense. Nasuada will need his help with restoring the Empire," I replied while yawning. "we're pretty much finished with the Eldundarí, so..."

"We can go hunt down that perfect tree." He finished for me. "I'll start packing up."

I groaned as the warmth he supplied disappeared, he slipped from our cocoon of blankets. Murtagh tucked the blankets back around my neck before kissing me on the forehead.

"Stay put," He told me, I huffed at him.

"You are going to make me get fat," I complained to him.

"You're not getting fat; you have a child growing inside you," Murtagh replied, rolling his eyes before tapping the red wing over us. Thorn withdrew his wing, letting the bright sunshine float into the small pace.

"Too bright, too bright," I moaned before I dragged the blankets over my eyes. Both men laughed at me as something nudged my side. "Whhhhhatttttt."

"What are your wishes for the Empire, little one," I heard Saphira's gentle voice ask. Dragging the covers back down, so I was staring at Saphira's head.

"I think you know my answer to that, Saphira," I replied, slinging an across my face. "No Dragon Rider should ever sit upon the throne of Alagaësia. We are keepers of the peace, not rulers."

"Eragon and I shall make sure that Nasuada receives your wishes," Saphira responded, nodding her large head once before pulling it away. By the time both Eragon and Murtagh had finished up collecting our meager belongings, I was fully awake and running my hands through my long hair.

"Now that we basically need to find a place to build a home, where do you think we should look?" I asked Alethea as I started to braid my hair.

"I think the forests of Du Weldenvarden. There is a big lake with a connecting waterfall and river just north of Osilon. It is secluded but close enough if we need to get supplies we can."

"Have you talked to Thorn about this?" I asked as I tied off my braid. "He and Murtagh have to agree to this as well."

"Thorn likes the idea," Alethea replied. "says anywhere is better than Urû'Baen."

I flinched. Thorn was right, anywhere was better than Urû'Baen, well except maybe Helgrind. But they had the freedom of choice right now, and I was not going to take that away from them.

"I have a feeling that anywhere that is far from Urû'Baen and secluded is fine for them," Alethea said, commenting on my thoughts.

"True, but they have the right to at least have a say in the matter." By the end of this conversation, I was done getting ready and was folding up the blankets with a spell that flattened them as thin as a piece of parchment.