Chapter Fifty-Seven: Brilliant

My left hand pulled out my sword while I drew out my dagger with my right. My father's dark eyes flickered to me as my grip on my weapons tightened.

"I wouldn't interfere, my dear, this is a fight between brothers." I ignored my father's words, and stepped in front of Eragon. Light refracted off my sword and onto the cold, dark, stone floor.

If the scarf wrapped around my neck weren't covering my mouth, my father would see my teeth clenched together in anger.

"Murtagh, give our newest Rider a taste of power that could be hers." My father ordered. Murtagh pursed his lips before drawing Zar' roc and striding in front of me.

"Islingr," I whispered in my mind. My palm and dragon tattoo lit up before the blade of my sword was engulphed in light. Murtagh's eyes widened slightly as my father leaned forward in his seat.

"The gift of the twin dragons," My father, breathed before chuckling. "you continue to surprise me, young one."

Quick as a songbird, I darted forward, striking at Murtagh. My dagger struck against the red blade of Zar' roc as Murtagh blocked my attack. I twirled away as Murtagh's red blade descended towards the spot I previously occupied.

Finally, our two swords met with a shrill, metallic sound. Using the momentum my sword had from hitting Zar' roc, I flicked my wrist in the opposite direction. Murtagh barely had time to block.

I leaned back to my left as Zar' roc was thrust towards my shoulder, I could feel the heat from the blade as it passed inches from my skin. Adjusting my grip on my dagger, I swung my arm up and parried the red blade away from my body.

When the threat of Zar' roc kissing my skin was gone, I dove forward into a roll, rolling to my feet behind Murtagh as he quickly spun around. I twirled Islingr in my left hand to rest my grip as I waited for the move.

I had spent hours watching Murtagh and Eragon spar with each other, watching both of their movements. Watching how their feet moved, what side they favored, what moves they used at what point.

I had one issue, Murtagh had been under my father's influence for months, whatever information I might have collected on him might not be valid anymore.

Moving into a spin kick, I kicked Murtagh hard in the chest, sending him stumbling back a step before I took two strides and flipped over him. In the air, I twisted and flicked my sword at the connection to his armor. It would have made more sense to go for his neck, but I was not trying to kill him.

My sword whipped at the leather strap with lightning speed luckily for Murtagh, his reflexes were enhanced by being a Dragon Rider and blocked my blade by angling Zar' roc over his shoulder.

I landed, skidding back on my feet as Murtagh finished spinning around. Our blades rang out as we sliced, blocked, and parried each other's moves. We continued to dance around each other, not landing a single blow.

Neither of us was out for blood, but that did not mean we were putting in an effort. Minutes went by, I would gain some ground before being forced back as Murtagh pushed forward.

Murtagh fainted to my right, swiping Zar' roc at my feet. I dove forward, rolling on the stone floor before getting to my feet and swinging Islingr at Murtagh. Once again, my blade was parried by the red one.

"I have heard stories of your reflexes and speed in battle," My father said as Murtagh as I faced each other, both of us resetting our grip. "like the Desert Cobra, you bite before your presence is revealed."