Chapter Sixty-Six: Blinding

The girl, whose name I now knew as Grifen, was a survivor of classic village abuse. The Elves of Osilon had joined my aunt's army and had come across her in a village they passed on their way back from Urû'Baen.

She had been labeled a demon and ever named after a local legend. Grifen, the demon who steals your soul if you gaze into its eyes. Since birth, she had been an outcast, punished, and hated by her own parents for the pigment in her eyes.

The elves of Osilon had instantly chosen to bring Grifen back to their city in hopes of a better life. Unfortunately, Grifen had already shrunken into a closed shell by the time she was rescued from her village. She had refused their care for fear of it being a trick.

Murtagh had left once more to go and explore the elvan city with Thorn while Alethea had shrunken her size and joined me in bathing Grifen who was in desperate need of a bath. Grifen played in the bathwater full of flower petals as I worked on getting the knots out of her hair.

Since Grifen had basically receded to using her mind to speak, she relied on others to understand what she was saying and reply to what she voiced in her mind. That's why she had been drawn to Thorn and Alethea in the first place.

Their lack of verbal communication and dependence on telepathy had sparked curiosity on the great creatures the elves revered. It was my great relief that she wasn't terrified at them.

I reached a section of her hair that had a significant knot and poured some of the hair softener on the spot before coaxing the strands to untangle themselves with my magic. Smiling as her brown hair slowly became a vibrant color reminiscent of the most luxurious chocolate, I ran a comb through her now tangle-free, clean hair.

Brushing her long locks out, I grabbed a pair of scissors provided and cut her locks until the ends were an even length halfway down her back.

"All done, Fen," I told her softly, running my fingers over the top of her head and through her hair. Grifen turned and looked at me with a clean face. Now that her hair didn't cover her face and the dirt had been removed, I could clearly see what a truly beautiful child she was.

"Done?" She questioned in her mind. I nodded at her with a smile shortly before a knock on the bedroom door reached my ears.

"That'll be the healer, finish your bath and I'll see about getting you into proper clothing," I told her, patting her on the head and standing up. Grifen nodded at me before going back to splashing around.

At least she seems to be happier. Wiping my hands on a towel, I left the bathroom and opened the door to the door. An elderly woman stood on the other side of the door with kind eyes a smile.

"I was told that you requested my services, your highness."

"Mal, please," I told her before stepping aside and beckoning her to enter the room. "please come in."

The old elf stepped into the room as I shut the door behind her.

"I wasn't told why you requested my services, but after seeing you, I fully understand. I am Yirlitá," I sighed and rubbed my forehead. Just how many people could tell with just one look? The woman chuckled. "don't worry, child. I only recognize the signs because I have been helping babe's into the world for a millennium."

"At least I don't have to worry about everyone knowing." I murmured quietly to myself. The woman shook her head.

"Nay," She replied. "I'd say you'll be showing a few short days."