Chapter Fifty-Two: Brilliant

The eleven of us—including Umaroth—continued to talk for another hour. Orrin required more convincing, and there were numerous details to decide: questions of timing and placement and signaling. If I didn't know any better, I would say he was part dwarf.

"Unless either object, I will accompany you tomorrow," Arya said to Eragon and me.

"We would be glad to have you," Eragon responded. Islanzadí stiffened, seems like protective mothers run in the family.

"What good would that accomplish? Your talents are needed elsewhere, Arya. Blödhgarm and the other spellcasters I assigned to the four of them are more skilled at magic than you and more experienced in battle as well. Remember, they fought against the Forsworn, and unlike many, they lived to tell of it. Many of the elder members of our race would volunteer to take your place. It would be selfish to insist upon going when there are others better suited for the task who are willing and close at hand."

"I think no one is as suited for the task as Arya," Eragon said in a calm voice, opposing Islanzadí words. "And there is no one, other than Saphira, I would rather have by my side."

"And what of my niece, would you have her at your side as well?" Eragon glanced at me, and I nodded my head.

"Mal and I's destinies are separate. I would love to have her with me, but she has things she needs to do that are not part of this war." Islanzadí returned her gaze to Arya

"You are still young, Shadeslayer, and you are allowing your emotions to cloud your judgment."

"No, Mother," Arya said. "It is you who are allowing your emotions to cloud your judgment." She moved toward Islanzadí with long, graceful steps.

"You are right, there are others who are stronger, wiser, and more experienced than I. But it was I who ferried Saphira and Alethea's egg about Alagaësia. I who helped save Eragon from the Shade Durza. And I who, with Eragon's help, killed the Shade Varaug in Feinster. Like Eragon, I am now a Shadeslayer, and you well know that I swore myself in service to our people long ago. Who else among our kind can claim as much? Even if I wanted to, I would not turn away from this. I would sooner die. I am as prepared for this challenge as any of our elders, for it is to this I have devoted the whole of my life, as has Eragon."

"And the whole of your life has been so short," Islanzadí replied. She put a hand up to Arya's face. "You have devoted yourself to fighting Galbatorix all these years since your father's death, but you know little of the joys life can provide. And in those years, we have spent such a small amount of time together: a handful of days scattered throughout a century. It is only since you brought Eragon, Khensamel, Saphira, and Alethea to Ellesméra that we have begun to speak once more, as a mother and daughter ought. I would not lose you again so soon, Arya."

"It was not I who chose to remain apart," Arya said.

"No," Islanzadí said, and she took her hand away. "But it was you who chose to leave Du Weldenvarden." Her expression softened. "I do not wish to argue, Arya. I understand that you see this as your duty, but please, for my sake, will you not allow another to take your place?"

Arya lowered her gaze and was silent for a time.

"I cannot allow Eragon and Saphira to go without me any more than you can allow your army to march into battle without you at its head. I cannot. ... Would you have it said of me that I am a coward? Those of our family do not turn away from what must be done; do not ask me to shame myself." The shine in Islanzadí's eyes looked suspiciously like tears, this is the first time I have seen her so emotional.