Chapter Forty-Three: Radiant

"Master, you honor us beyond words, but . . . are you sure that you wish to entrust your heart to us?" Saphira asked

"I am sure, for many reasons, I am sure. If you hold my heart, you shall be able to communicate with Oromis and me—no matter how far apart we may be—and I shall be able to aid you with my strength whenever you are in difficulty. And if Oromis and I should fall in battle, our knowledge and experience, and also my strength, shall still be at your disposal. Long have I pondered this choice, and I am confident it is the right one."

"But if Oromis were to die, would you really want to live on without him, and as an Eldunarí?" Eragon asked.

"I do not wish to be parted from Oromis, but whatever happens, I shall continue to do what I can to topple Galbatorix from his throne. That is our only goal, and not even death shall deter us from pursuing it. The idea of losing Saphira horrifies you, Eragon, and rightly so. However, Oromis and I have had centuries to reconcile ourselves with the fact that such a parting is inevitable. No matter how careful we are, if we live long enough, eventually one of us will die. It is not a happy thought, but it is the truth. Such is the way of the world."

"I cannot pretend that I regard this with favor, but the purpose of life is not to do what we want but what needs to be done. This is what fate demands of us."

"So now I ask you, will you accept my gift and all that it entails? The for of us muttered I will. Then Glaedr drew back his head. The muscles of his abdomen rippled and clenched several times, and his throat began to convulse as if something were stuck in it. Widening his stance, the gold dragon extended his neck straight out in front of him, every cord and sinew of his body standing in high relief underneath the armor of his sparkling scales. Glaedr's throat continued to flex and relax with increasing speed until at last, he lowered his head so that it was level with Eragon and opened his jaws. A round object about a foot in diameter slid down Glaedr's crimson tongue and out of his mouth so fast, Eragon nearly missed catching it.

"Here," Oromis said, handing Eragon a sturdy cloth sack.

"Thank you, Master,"

"Because you swore fealty to Nasuada, and you owe her your loyalty and obedience, you may tell her of my heart if you must, but only if you must. For the sake of dragons everywhere, what few of us remain, the truth about the Eldunarí cannot become common knowledge."

"What about Blödhgarm and the other elves Islanzadí sent to protect me? I allowed them into my mind when Saphira and I last fought Murtagh. They will notice your presence, Glaedr if you help us in the midst of a battle."

"You may inform Blödhgarm and his spellcasters of the Eldunarí, but only after they have sworn oaths of secrecy to you." Oromis placed his helm on his head.

"Arya is Islanzadí's daughter, and so I suppose it is proper she should know. However, as with Nasuada, do not tell her unless it becomes absolutely necessary. A secret shared is no secret at all. If you can be so disciplined, do not even think of it, nor of the very fact of the Eldunarí, so that no one may steal the information from your minds."

"Yes, Master."

"Now let us be gone from here," Oromis said, pulling a pair of thick gauntlets over his hands. "I have heard from Islanzadí that Nasuada has laid siege to the city of Feinster, and the Varden have great need of you."

"We have spent too long in Ellesméra," Saphira murmured.

"Perhaps, but it was time well spent," Glaedr responded before Oromis vaulted up his side. Eragon and I mounted our own dragons, and we were soon traveling over Du Weldenvarden.