Chapter Thirty-Four: Radiant

Over the next few weeks, I hadn't seen Murtagh. I spent the weeks in the library, searching for information that could provide useful for the Varden. My hand stung from long hours of scrawling neat and precise notes.

When I wasn't researching war tactics, I was playing the perfect princess to the ladies of the court. While I had left a pristine image on the older generation, the young ladies of the court mostly sided with Yilba and had decided that I was a threat.

So here I was, gracefully sipping tea from a beautifully designed teacup trimmed in gold. My back was ramrod straight while I sat in the chair and listened to the idle chatter of the noblewoman.

Do they seriously sit around all day sipping tea and snacking on sweet cakes, gossiping together?

My brain had basically shut down, and my eyes glazed over as talk of lip paint and the latest dress design. My arms were on autopilot as I occasionally took a sip of tea.

"This isn't your usual converse, is it?" My brain woke up at the soft-spoken words as I turned my head to my right. Tolme sat next to me, nervously playing with her teacup. I smiled and shook my head.

"No, it isn't," I replied before glancing at the gossiping woman. They were now fawning over Yilba's gaudy necklace. I pursed my lips and shook my head. "I grew up on a farm with very little. I had no jewels or dresses to fawn over, nor did I have the time to."

"What was it like?" Tolme asked. I looked at her and saw a genuine interest. I smiled at her before looking down at my teacup.

"It was hard, sometimes we worried about food lasting through the winter, but it was freeing. We were not bound by social status, not bound by duty. You married for love, not power and status." I told her. "as long as we had enough to eat, we were free to do as we pleased."

"Sounds lovely," Tolme sighed dreamily. "to not have to worry about social status and finding a husband."

"Why do you stay with someone so verbally degrading?" Tolme gave me a deer in the headlights look before her eyes darted towards Yilba.

"I—I know not what you speak of!" Tolme lied, stuttering over her words. "Yilba and I are such fond friends."

"That's not what it means to be a friend," I said softly as I set my teacup down. "that's called being cruel and unkind."

Tolme bit her lip and clenched her fists as Yilba's nasal laugh broke through the silence between Tolme and I. Exhausted by the sheer sound of her voice, I stood up and brushed my skirts free of any wrinkles.

"I am feeling slightly faint," I announced vaguely. "Tolme, will you be a dear and escort me to the powder room?"

Tolme set her teacup down and obediently followed me out of the drawing-room. Once out of the stuffy room, I looped my arm with Tolme's and started walking.

"Didn't you say—"

"A perfect excuse to relieve myself from those gossiping nitwits," I explained, patting her hand. "Now Tolme, explain to me why you let Yilba walk all over you?"

"Yilba has the power to ruin a girl's reputation within seconds," Tolme whispered, if my hearing were not enhanced, I wouldn't have heard her.

"I thought as much," I said as I came to a stop. "I take it she is also hindering your chances of securing a husband as well?"

Tolme heaved a heavy sigh.