Chapter Fifteen: Iridescent

The path took us down to the edge of the crystal clear lake before rising back toward Tarnag and its open gates. Snowfire and Tornoc whinnied at the fresh air and started to prance about. We weren't the only ones happy to be in the open.

"How have you hidden Tarnag from Galbatorix?" Eragon asked. "Farthen Dûr I understand, but this... I've never seen anything like it." Orik laughed before responding.

"Hide it? That would be impossible. No, after the Riders fell, we were forced to abandon all our cities aboveground and re-treat into our tunnels to escape Galbatorix and the Forsworn. They would often fly through the Beors, killing anyone who they encountered."

"I thought that dwarves always lived underground." Orik frowned with his brow furrowed.

"Why should we? We may have an affinity for stone, but we like the open air as much as elves or humans. However, it has only been in the last decade and a half, ever since Morzan died, that we have dared return to Tarnag and other of our ancient dwellings. Galbatorix may be unnaturally powerful, but even he would not attack an entire city alone. Of course, he and his dragon could cause no end of trouble if they wanted, but these days they rarely leave Urû'baen, even for short trips. Nor could Galbatorix bring an army here without first defeating Buragh or Farthen Dûr."

"Which he nearly did," Saphira grumbled, letting out a puff of smoke through her nose. A goat-like creature burst through the underbrush in front of us with a dwarf on its back. An arrow was half strung on the dwarves bow.

"Hert dûrgrimst? Fild rastn?" The dwarf shouted.

"Orik Thrifkz menthiv oen Hrethcarach Eragon rak Dûrgrimst Ingei-tum," Orik responded. "Wharn, az vanyali-carharûg Arya. Né oc Ûndinzgrimstbelardn."

"Azt jok jordn rast," The dwarf responded before he and his beast disappeared into the woods.

"What was that?" Eragon asked, amazed.

Orik, Arya, and I resumed walking. "A Feldûnost, one of the five animals unique to these mountains. A clan is named after each one. However, Dûrgrimst Feldûnost is perhaps the bravest and most revered of the clans."

"Why so?"

"We depend upon Feldûnost for milk, wool, and meat. Without their sustenance, we could not live in the Beors. When Galbatorix and his traitorous Riders were terrorizing us, it was Dûrgrimst Feldûnost who risked themselves—and still do—to tend the herds and fields. As such, we are all in their debt."

"Do all dwarves ride Feldûnost?" Eragon asked, stumbling slightly over the unusual word.

"Only in the mountains. Feldûnost are hardy and sure-footed, but they are better suited for cliffs than open plains."

Now the path that had concealed us for so long under dark boughs entered the great clearing that surrounded Tarnag. Groups of observers had already begun to gather in the fields when seven Feldûnost with jeweled harnesses bounded out from the city. Their riders held lances tipped with pennants that snapped like whips in the air.

"Thou art well-come to this city of Tarnag. By otho of Ûndin and Gannel, I, Thorv, son of Brokk, offer in peace the shelter of our halls." The leader of the seven barked out.

"And by Hrothgar's otho, we of the Ingeitum accept your hospitality," Orik responded.

"As do we, in Islanzadí's stead," Arya added.

After a satisfied crossed Throv's face, he motioned to his fellow riders, who spurred their Feldûnost into formation around the five of us. With a flourish, the dwarves rode off, guiding us to Tarnag and through the city gates. I looked at the walls that surrounded Tarnag. They were at least forty feet thick. This was a sturdy city.