Chapter Sixteen: Iridescent

Arya was not quick with her response; the elves around us looked at us with amazement and excitement.

"For seventy years, I have lived and loved, fought, and killed without ever speaking to you, my mother. Our lives are long, but even so, that is no small span." Izlanzaí lifted her chin and went stiff.

"I cannot undo the past, Arya, no matter how much I might desire to."

"And I cannot forget what I endured."

"Nor should you." Islanzadí grabbed Arya's hands. "Arya, I love you. You are one of my small family. Go if you must, but unless you wish to renounce me, I would be reconciled with you."

"No, Mother. I could not leave." Islanzadí smiled, embraced her daughter again. I let out a breath that I had been holding. "There is someone I wish to present to the court."

Arya turned towards me and gave me a slight nod, showtime. Using my gloved left hand, I gently pulled my hood down and shook my hair-free. There was a short scream, and I soon had an elf clinging to me like her life depended on it.

"My daughter! Can you find it in your heart to forgive me for what I have done!?!"

"There isn't anything for me to forgive," I said gently while hugging the shaking elf. "You did it for a logical and sound reason. You have done nothing wrong, mother."

"But I-"

"You did that because it was the safest route for me. I am not angry."

"We welcome you home, niece. I am very grateful you were able to come home." Izlanzadí said with elation.

"As am I, aunt," I responded, bowing my head. I felt Eragon's shock from behind me, well at least he knows now.

"And on the door was graven evermore, what now became the family lore, Let us never do but to adore!" The white raven crowed.

"Hush, Blagden," Islanzadí said to the raven. "Keep your doggerel to yourself." The queen then turned back towards Eragon and Saphira.

"You must excuse me for being discourteous and ignoring you, our most important guests."

Eragon touched his lips and then twisted his right hand over his sternum. "Islanzadí Dröttning. Atra esterní ono thelduin."

"Atra du evarínya ono varda." Izlanzadí responded softly.

"Un atra mor'ranr lífa unin hjarta onr." Izlanzadí then turned to Saphira.

"Dragon, what is your name?"

"Saphira."

Welcome to Ellesméra, Saphira. And yours, Rider?"

"Eragon Shadeslayer, Your Majesty."

"You carry a powerful name," Izlanzadí responded softly. "One that we rarely bestow upon our children... Welcome to Ellesméra, Eragon Shadeslayer. We have waited long for you."

Islanzadí greeted Orik before returning to her seat.

"I assume by your presence here, Eragon, so soon after Saphira's egg and the other was captured, and by the ring on your hand and the sword on your hip, that Brom is dead and that your training with him was incomplete. I wish to hear your full story, including how Brom fell and how you came to meet my daughter, or how she met you, as it may be as well as what happened to the other egg. Then I will hear of your mission here, dwarf, and of your adventures, Arya, since your ambush in Du Weldenvarden."