Chapter Forty-One: Radiant

Alethea quickly dove back towards the hut at Glaedr's command. When we reached Oromis's hut, we saw Eragon at the edge of the cliff, looking out into the valley with a distressed look. I dropped to the ground and slowly walked up to him.

"Are you angry with us?" Eragon turned to look at the three of us.

"No, of course not. I understand that you could not break your oath in the ancient language. . . . I just wish that Brom could have told me this himself and that he hadn't felt it necessary to hide the truth from me." Eragon stood utterly still for a few minutes before snapping out of the memory.

"Are you going to be all right?" Saphira asked.

Yes, I think I will, actually. I don't like some of the things Brom did, but I am proud to call him my father and to carry his name. He was a great man. . . . It bothers me, though, that I never had the opportunity to talk to either of my parents as my parents."

"At least you were able to spend time with Brom. I am not so fortunate; both my sire and my mother died long before I hatched. The closest I can come to meeting them are a few hazy memories from Glaedr."

We stood there until Oromis came out of his hut bearing three bowls of soup. We ate in silence until we were done with

"Would you like to see a fairth of your mother, Eragon?" Eragon froze for a moment, astonished.

"Yes, please." From within the folds of his white tunic, Oromis withdrew a shingle of thin gray slate, which he passed to Eragon.

"Brom gave me the fairth for safekeeping before he left for Carvahal, and now I give it to you."

"It reminds me of the one of Mal..." Eragon trailed off.

"It is completely different Eragon."

"No, it's not," Eragon argued back, I sighed as Oromis raised an eyebrow.

"Eragon, I'm not exactly dressed for battle like she is," I said with a look, he shook his head and pointed to my pack.

"Bring it out, I want to compare," Eragon said, crossing his arms. He wasn't going to let this go until he compared them, damn. I sighed and pulled the wrapped fairth out of my pack. I gently pulled the fabric back and set the fairth down next to Eragon's.

"There, happy? They aren't alike." Eragon studied the two fairth's while Glaedr moved his head to see what Eragon's fuss was about. "I'm in a dress, your mother is not."

"Aura," Eragon finally said. "You both have the same aura."

"You are beautiful Mal," Saphira said. "No wonder he made this fairth."

I took the fairth back and wrapped it up again, placing it back in its spot.

"Master, Eragon and I need swords that won't break underneath a Riders sword."

"I shall send word to the smith Rhunön that she may expect you later in the day."

"But she swore she would never forge another sword." Oromis sighed.

"She did, but her advice would still be worth seeking out. If anyone can recommend the proper weapon for you, it would be she. Besides, even if you like the feel of Támerlein, I am sure Rhunön would want to examine the sword before you left with it."