Chapter Forty: Radiant

Alethea coasted next to Saphira as we closed in on Ellesméra, we were finally returning to our Master now that the Varden had a decent grounding against the Empire troupes. Our dragons stretched their wings out as they descended in front of Oromis's hut.

"Welcome back to Ellesméra, come," Oromis said gesturing toward the table and chairs once we had gotten our feet to the ground. On the table was a tray with bowls of fruit and nuts, half a round of cheese, a loaf of bread, a decanter of wine, and three crystal goblets.

"Would you care for a drink to wash the dust from your throat?" Oromis asked as our Dragon's left to fill their bellies.

"Yes, please," Eragon responded with a nod of his head. With an elegant motion, Oromis un-stoppered the decanter and filled three goblets. He handed one to Eragon, then one to me before settling back into his chair, arranging his white tunic with long, smooth fingers.

"Master, I—" An upraised finger from Oromis stopped him.

"Unless it is unbearably urgent, I would wait until Saphira and Alethea join us before we discuss what has brought you here. Are you agreed?" We spent an hour looking at the valley below us before Saphira and Alethea flew back.

"You do not need to tell me what has befallen you these past weeks, Eragon, Khensamel. Since Islanzadí left the forest, Arya has kept her informed of the news of the land, and every three days, Islanzadí sends a runner from our army back to Du Weldenvarden. Thus, I know of your duel with Murtagh and Thorn on the Burning Plains." Oromis said before turning to me.

"I am aware of your trip to Ûru Baen, we shall discuss this further later." He turned back to Eragon. "I know of your trip to Helgrind and how you punished the butcher from your village. And I know you attended the dwarves' clan meet in Farthen Dûr and the outcome thereof. Whatever you wish to say, then, you may say without fear of having to educate me about your recent doings." Eragon rolled a plump blueberry in the palm of his hand before responding.

"Do you know of Elva and what happened when I tried to free her of my curse?"

"Yes, even that. You may not have succeeded in removing the whole of the spell from her, but you paid your debt to the child, and that is what a Dragon Rider is supposed to do: fulfill his obligations, no matter how small or difficult they be."

"She still feels the pain of those around her."

"But now it is by her own choice," Oromis responded. "No longer does your magic force it upon her. . . . You did not come here to seek my opinion concerning Elva. What is it that weighs upon your heart, Eragon? Ask what you will, and I promise I shall answer all of your questions to the best of my knowledge."

"What," Eragon started, "if I don't know the right questions to ask?"

A twinkle appeared in Oromis's gray eyes as I stared into my wine glass.

"Wisdom beseeches you, Eragon." I murmured before taking a sip of the fermented drink.

"Ah, you begin to think like an elf. You must trust us as your mentors to teach you and Saphira those things of which you are ignorant. And you must also trust us to decide when it is appropriate to broach those subjects, for there are many elements of your training that should not be spoken of out of turn."

Eragon placed the blueberry in the precise center of the tray.

"When I was last here, did you know who my father was?" I shifted uncomfortably in my seat, this was not the discussion I wanted to have with Eragon.