Chapter Thirty-Nine: Radiant

I entered the War tent and slunk into the shadows as men filed into the tent and began idle conversations. Jörmunder was among the men that arrived, and King Orrin came shortly after him.

"Lady Nasuada, you said that this was extremely important?" King Orrin asked, looking puzzled.

"Yes," Nasuada replied. "we finally have a word about the castle."

"And how did we come by that information?" King Orrin asked, not looking at all impressed.

"I believe that's where I come in," I answered, stepping out of the shadows and pulling my hood down. Several jaws dropped as eyes ran over my body. I removed my pack from my back and settled it on the table. Alethea blinked up at me as I pulled out the parchments I had shoved into the pack.

"I believe we need to change our tactics," I said as I spread out one of the scrolls. "While in Urû Baen, I took it upon myself to 'borrow' some reading material and maps from the Royal Library."

"Your highness," One of the generals started. "How exactly did you go about retrieving these scrolls, I am sure Galbatorix's castle is heavily warded, not to mention the library."

I glanced up at the general who had spoken and smirked.

"It wasn't that hard, as the King's daughter, I have free reign of the castle," I told him, some of the men turned while one went stiff as a board and fell backward. "I am Galbatorix's biological daughter. I wasn't hard to get in, or out, of Urû'Baen and the scholars of the Royal Library where all too willing to help me secure these parchments."

I took out the map of the door that I had researched. It would be our greatest chance of entry to the castle. Unfolding it, I pressed the paper to the table and pushed it to the center.

"Well your highness," One of the generals finally said weakly. "I do have to say, you are nothing like your father."

"So I have been told General," I replied, smirking at him. "you are lucky that I take after my mother. If you will excuse me, I have other business to attend to."

I pulled my hood back up and exited the tent, leaving the generals and King Orrin to do what they wished with the information I had gathered. It was time to hunt down Eragon.

It wasn't hard to track him down considering he was near Saphira and she isn't exactly discreet. I walked over to him as Saphira moved her head in my direction. Her sparkling blue eyes latched onto me.

"I see you are back."

"Yes," I responded. "I am."

"Eragon is in center of the tents," Saphira said, motioning her broad snout at the tents aligned in a box. I walked in between the tents to see the villagers gathered in the center where they had set up their cooking station along with tables and chairs.

My eyes landed on Eragon who was talking with a blonde-haired man with a beard. My eyes slightly widened when I realized that the blonde man was Roran. Eragon smiled at something Roran said before he frowned.

"Eragon?" Roran asked. "You alright?"

"Aye, just thought I felt—" Eragon looked around and within seconds his eyes landed on me. "Mal!"

I reached up and pulled my hood down, letting my braid fall freely over my shoulder. Eragon took several long strides, and I was soon engulfed in his arms. I took a step back from the momentum of his body before I hugged him back.