Chapter Twelve: Luminescent

The warriors around us began marching away. The three battalions were re-positioning themselves in different parts of Farthen Dûr. Unsure of what we should do, Eragon and I looked at Orik, who shrugged.

"I suppose we should accompany them." We trailed behind a battalion as it headed toward the crater wall. The battalion halted at one of the collapsed tunnels. The dwarves had piled the rubble so that anyone inside the tunnel could easily climb out.

"This must be one of the places they're going to force the Urgals to surface," Saphira said, Alethea, chirped in agreement from the small backpack strapped to my back. We had made a deal, as long as she stays out of sight, she can stay with me.

Hundreds of lanterns were fixed atop poles and stuck into the ground. They provided a vast pool of light that glowed like an evening sun. Fires blazed along the rim of the tunnel's roof, enormous cauldrons of pitch heating over them. Rows of sharpened saplings were being pounded into the ground to make a thorny barrier.

Eragon went to help the men and dwarves digging trenches, Saphira helped as well by pulling saplings. Orik went to help make barriers for the archery stands while I filled wineskins, much to the soldier's displeasure. Apparently, I didn't need to help them since I was the queen. I had just raised my eyebrow and continued to fill wineskins. Eragon and Orik walked over to me and gulped down water as fast as they could.

"All the men and dwarves are on the battlefield. Tronjheim has been sealed off. Hrothgar has taken charge of the battalion to our left. Ajihad leads the one ahead of us." Orik said after taking many gulps of water.

"Who commands this one?" Eragon asked.

"Jörmundur," I responded while closing a wineskin and handing it to a waiting soldier. Orik sat down with a grunt and placed his war ax on the ground.

"Eragon. Mal. Look." I looked at Saphira before glancing at what she was referring too. It was Murtagh and Tornac, Murtagh had armor on and was carrying his hand-and-a-half sword again. Eragon got to his feet as Orik cursed, I stayed back to watch not knowing what was going on.

"It's all right; Ajihad released me," Murtagh said to the irate dwarf.

"Why would he do that?" Orik demanded. Murtagh smiled wryly.

"He said this was an opportunity to prove my good intentions. He doesn't think I would be able to do much damage even if I did turn on the Varden." Eragon visibly relaxed.

"How do we know you're not lying?" Orik barked.

"Orik!" I said sharply. "Calm." The dwarf backed down with a grumble.

"Because I say so," A firm voice announced shortly before Ajihad strode forward, he was armed for battle with a breastplate and an ivory-handled sword. Ajihad stopped before us and gave me a slight bow. "My Lady, you should get some rest."

With those words, Ajihad swiftly turned around and dragged Eragon off to speak with him. I sighed and rolled my head in slight annoyance.

"What are you doing here!?!" I turned my head to look at an irate Murtagh.

"Filling wineskins, do you need a refill?" I said, gesturing to the large pots of water near me.

"You know that is not what I meant," Murtagh said, giving me a look. "Why aren't you with the woman and children?"

"Fighting Murtagh, I'm not going to run away in fear while my friends go to battle and stop giving me that look, I'm not changing my mind." Murtagh eventually sighed and held an arm out.