Chapter Fourteen: Iridescent

I stalked into the meeting room with an air of annoyance and a menacing aura. The last couple of days had been torture for me, and I was at my whits end. I sank in the chair at the end of the table while the men and woman in the room bowed. My hand immediately went to the necklace that was now wrapped around my neck, Murtagh's necklace. The only thing I had left of the man.

Day's had passed since Eragon woke up and he was constantly subjected to the angony of his scar on his back, rendering him curled up on the floor in agony. My shoulder wasn't as bad, but it still caused problems, I had a hard time using my sword, and my bow was now entirely out of the question. I felt weak and useless.

"Your highness?" I was pulled out of my thoughts at Jörmundur's voice. I dropped my hand back into my lap and focused on the group.

"Proceed," I murmured out, straightening my posture and looking at the council members.

"Thank you for coming, Eragon, even though you have suffered your loss. This is Umérth, Falberd, Sabrae, and Elessari," Jörmunder said gesturing to the members sitting around the table, Eragon inclined his head before he frowned.

"And what of the Twins, were they part of this council?" Sabrae shook her head sharply and tapped a long fingernail on the table. I resisted the urge to wrinkle my nose in disgust as her perfume filled my nose.

"They had naught to do with us. They were slime—worse than slime leeches that worked only for their benefit. They had no desire to serve the Varden. Thus, they had no place in this council."

"Enough. We're not here to discuss the Twins," Jörmundur snapped. "We face a crisis that must be dealt with quickly and effectively. If we don't choose Ajihad's successor, someone else will. Hrothgar has already con-tacted us to convey his condolences. While he was more than courteous, he is sure to be forming his own plans even as we speak. We must also consider Du Vrangr Gata, the magic users. Most of them are loyal to the Varden, but it's difficult to predict their actions even in the best of times. They might decide to oppose our authority for their advantage."

"The six of us have already decided whom to support. There is no doubt among us that it is the right person. But," Falberd spoke up sternly and raising a finger. "Before we reveal who it is, you must give us your word of honor that whether you agree or disagree with us, nothing of our discussion will leave this room."

"Why would they want that?" Eragon asked in my mind. I turned my head to look at him.

"These people are stubborn Eragon, though I do believe they are forgetting that you are an intelligent human being, you haven't pledged yourself to the Varden, so there isn't any risk." Eragon sighed before nodding.

"Very well, you have my word. Now, who do you want to lead the Varden?"

"Nasuada," I spoke up sternly.

"Why not you, Jörmundur? Ajihad called you his right-hand man. Doesn't that mean you should take his place now that he's gone?"

"Because," Jörmundur said, selecting his words with care, "Ajihad was speaking of military matters then, nothing more. Also, I am a member of this council, which only has power because we support one another. It would be foolish and dangerous for one of us to raise himself above the rest."

"Does Nasuada have enough experience?" Eragon asked. Elessari pressed herself against the table's edge as she leaned forward.

"I had already been here for seven years when Ajihad joined the Varden. I've watched Nasuada grow up from a darling girl to the woman she is. A trifle light-headed occasionally, but a good figure to lead the Varden. The people will love her. Now I-"