Chapter Sixty-One: Blinding

Once we had eaten and cleaned up, Eragon had gone to meditate while I sat snuggled against Murtagh, watching the flickering flames in front of us.

"Eragon may be obtuse at times, but he isn't a complete idiot," I mumbled before sighing. "what do I do when he discovers that..."

"You're with child?" Murtagh finished. "nothing, he isn't responsible for you. Not anymore."

"Maybe not, but he is the closest thing I have to family other than the elves. I don't want him thinking that I kept him in the dark because I felt that he didn't need to know." I said as one of the logs in the fire collapsed in on itself.

Murtagh tightened his hold around my body before his hands sought out mine. His fingers weaved into mine.

"I can't go back, Murtagh," I whispered out. "I can't go back to that city, I just can't."

"Then we don't," Murtagh replied in a soothing tone. "we find a place to raise our child and build a home worthy for him or her."

"I want a treehouse," I spoke up. "A treehouse that our dragons can fly to, they are very much a part of our family as Eragon."

"A treehouse?" Murtagh asked. "if we are doing that, then our bedroom is going to be on the top floor with the best view."

"Hmm, and what direction should it face?"

"East, so when the sun rises into the sky, we can watch it from our bedroom," Murtagh replied after seemingly contemplating for a few seconds. "Where should we built it?"

"I was thinking near a pond or water source," I answered. "there's something nice about only having to walk a short distance to a swimming pool."

"Was there a lake near where you and Eragon grew up?" I shook my head against his chest.

"Not close enough that we could just visit, it had to be a planned trip."

"Then a swimming hole near the treehouse is a must, then." Murtagh mused in a teasing tone, I huffed at him and thumped my free hand against his chest.

"Be serious!"

"Okay, okay!" Murtagh laughed before getting serious again. "that does sound nice though, being able to exit our home and swim."

"It does, doesn't it." I sighed. "but what of the tree? It is simple to sing any tree into a house, but it has to be of quality and strength."

"Oak and maple are among the harder tree's in Alagaësia," Murtagh said as he played with the fingers in his grasp. "But I want our treehouse to also look nice."

"Both look relatively similar on the outside," I mused. "so I'd think it depends on what you like best for the inside, that's where the wood will truly show."

"Out of oak and maple, I'd go with maple."

"Maple it is." I agreed with a giggle. We lapsed into silence, resuming watching the fire burn and crackle.

"This sounds adventurous," Murtagh said, finally breaking the silence.

"Are you up for an adventure with me?" I asked, leaning my head back to look at him. He looked down at me with sparkling grey eyes.

"With you? Always." My lips curved into a smile before I snuggled back into his chest.

"I get to choose the tree," I announced, Murtagh's chest rumbled slightly as he laughed at me. I sighed before closing my eyes. I could finally start relaxing.