Chapter Fifty-One: Brilliant

"Galbatorix has built much since he drove us from this place. The walls were not so thick nor so tall in our day." Glaedr rumbled as we flew closer and closer to Ûru Baen.

"Nor was Ilirea this heavily fortified during the war between our kind and the elves. The traitor has burrowed deep and piled a mountain of stone about his hole. He will not come out of his own accord, I think. He is like a badger who has retreated into his den and who will bloody the nose of anyone who tries to dig him out." Umaroth added.

"Thus the reason for my trip to the city in the first place," I commented.

A mile southwest from the walled shelf and the city beneath lay the Varden's camp. It was significantly larger than I remembered.

"I think my aunt has joined forced with the Varden," I said as I eyed the significantly larger camp. "This increase in size will surely have Galbatorix wary."

"I think your right Mal, I'll contact Blödhgarm and tell him to gather everyone for a meeting."

Saphira and Alethea banked through a puff of clouds and landed as softly as a dragon their size could. Several sheep that had been nearby bolted away in fear. Eragon and I leaped to the ground and stretched our aching limbs as Saphira and Alethea sprawled across the lush grass.

"We didn't wear you two down, did we?" Alethea let a puff of smoke out of her nostrils and kept her head on the ground.

"The Eldunarí gave both Saphira and me plenty of strength. Please eat something, I know you are hungry as you have been expelling your meals."

"I will if I can keep it down," I responded before digging out the last of Eragon and I's rations. "Eragon, we can have lunch while we wait for the others."

Eragon joined me, and we silently ate lunch, enjoying the moment of peace before we had to go back to the war we were fighting. The approach of Arya, Blödhgarm, and Queen Islanzadí brought me out of my daydreaming. Eragon and I stood up.

"Show yourself, Eragon Shadeslayer, niece," Islanzadí said, looking toward the spot where we stood. Eragon released the spell that concealed us, then bowed to the elf queen. "You have improved, Shadeslayer."

"Thank you, Your Majesty. Such a compliment means much from one so wise and fair as you." Islanzadí laughed while Arya and I rolled our eyes.

"And you have grown eloquent as well! You did not tell me he had become so well-spoken, Arya! Khensamel." A faint smile touched Arya's face.

"He is still learning," I commented as Alethea rolled towards me while changing her size. She hopped on my shoulder and looked at Eragon with glittering eyes. I turned back to Islanzadí and gave a short bow. "Aunt, we have important news to share, but we would like to wait until everyone is here."

Orik was the next to join us. He rode from the south on a shaggy pony that was lathered and panting. "Ho, Eragon! Ho, Mal! Ho, Saphira! Ho, Alethea!" Orik yelled, raising a fist. He slid down from his exhausted mount, stomped over, and pulled Eragon into a rough embrace, pounding him on the back. Eragon shot me a look while I tried not to snicker.

"Where are your guards?" Eragon asked when he was finally released. Orik gestured over his shoulder.

"Braiding their beards by a farmhouse a mile west of here, and none too happy about it, I dare say. I'd trust every last one of them—they're clanmates of mine—but Blödhgarm said I should best come alone, so alone I've come. Now tell me why this secrecy? What did you discover on Vroengard?"