Chapter Four: Luminescent

"Yes." I heard Eragon mutter lowly. It sounded like he thought it wasn't a coincidence, maybe it wasn't. "What does Eragon mean?"

"I don't know, it's ancient, I doubt anyone remembers except the elves, and fortune would have to smile greatly before you talked with one. It is a good name to have, though, you should be proud of it. Not everyone has one so honorable."

"I don't understand, where were we when the riders were created?"

"We?"

"You know, all of us," Eragon said, waving his hand around. "Humans in general."

"We are no more native to this land than the elves. It took our ancestors another three centuries to arrive here and join the Riders."

"That can't be, we've always lived in Palancar Valley."

"That might be true for a few generations, but beyond that, no. It isn't even true for you Eragon. Though you consider yourself part of Garrow's family, and rightly so, your sire was not from here. Ask around, and you'll find many people who haven't been here that long. This valley is old and hasn't always belonged to us."

I heard Eragon let out an annoyed huff and gulp his tea.

"What happened to the dwarves after the Riders were destroyed."

"No one knows, they fought with the Riders through the first few battles, but when it came clear that Galbatorix was going to win, they sealed all the known entrances to their tunnels and disappeared underground. As far as I know, not one has been seen since."

"And the dragons, what of them, surely they weren't all killed." Brom's face fell into sorrow.

"That is the greatest mystery in Alagaësia nowadays: How many dragons survived Galbatorix's murderous slaughter? He spared those who agreed to serve him, but only the twisted dragons of the Forsworn would assist his madness. If any dragons aside from Shrunken are still alive, they have hidden so well the Empire will never find them."

Eragon and I shared a look with the same question in mind. If the dragons were gone, where did our eggs come from?

"Were the Urgals here when the elves came to Alagaësia?"

"No, they followed the elves across the sea, like ticks seeking blood. They were one of the reasons the Riders became valued for their battle prowess and ability to keep the peace. Much can be learned from this history. It's a pity the king makes it a delicate subject."

"Yes, we heard your story the last time we were in town."

"Story?" Brom thundered. "If it is a story, then the rumors of my death are true, and you are speaking with a ghost. Respect the past; you never know how it may affect you."

"How big were the dragons?"

"Larger than a house, even the smaller ones had wingspans over a hundred feet; they never stopped growing. Some of the ancient ones, before the Empire killed them, could have passed for large hills. There were a select few who could manipulate their size to fit their needs, but that was exceedingly rare."

There was no possible way Eragon or I could hide two mountain-sized dragons for long. It would be impossible.

"When did they mature?"

"Well," Brom said, scratching his chin. "They couldn't breathe fire until they were around five to six months old, which was about when they could mate. The older the dragon was, the longer it could breathe fire. Some could keep at it for minutes."

"I heard their scales shone like gems."

"You heard, right. They came in every color and shade. It was said that a group of them looked like a living rainbow, constantly shifting and shimmering. But who told you that?" Eragon shifted beside me.

"A trader."

"What was his name?"

"I don't know, he was talking in Morn's, but I never found out who he was."

"I wish you had," Brom grumbled.

"He also said that a Rider could hear his dragon's thoughts."

"He was wrong, it isn't any of the stories, and I know them all. Did he sat anything else?" That was a lie, but why would Brom lie to Eragon and me.

"No, did dragons live very long?" Brom was quiet for a few minutes before responding.

"Sorry, my mind was elsewhere. Yes, a dragon will live for quite a while, forever, in fact, as long as it isn't killed and its Rider doesn't die."

"How does anyone know that?" Eragon objected. "If dragons die when their Riders do, they only live to be sixty or seventy. You said during your...narration that Riders lived for hundreds of years, but that's impossible."

"What is possible is subjective, some would say that you cannot travel through the Spine and live, yet you and Mal do. It a matter of perspective, you must be very wise to know so much at such a young age. Don't be angry; you can't be expected to know such things. You forget that dragons were magical— they affected everything around them in strange ways. The Riders were closest to them and experienced this the most. The most common side effect was an extended life. Our king has lived long enough to make that apparent, but most people attribute that to his magical abilities. There were also other, less noticeable changes. All the Riders were stronger of body, keener of mind, and truer sight than normal men. Along with this, a human Rider would slowly acquire pointed ears, though they were never as prominent as an elf's."

"Were the dragons very smart." I wanted to snort at Eragon's comment, was he not listening?

"Didn't you pay attention to what I told you earlier? How could the elves form agreements with dumb brutes? They were intelligent as you or me."

"But they were animals!" Eragon protested much to my displeasure.

"They were no more animals than we are. For some reason the people praise everything the Riders did, yet ignored the dragons, assuming they were nothing more than an exotic means to get from one town to another. They weren't. The Riders' great deeds were only possible because of the dragons. How many men would draw their swords if they knew a giant fire-breathing lizard— one with more natural cunning and wisdom than even a king could hope for— would soon be there to stop the violence? Hmm?"

"Did you ever see one?"

"Nay, it was long before my time." Another lie, what was the old man hiding?

"I've been trying to recall the name of a certain dragon, but it keeps eluding me. I think I heard it when traders were in Carvahall, but I'm not sure. Could you help me?" Brom shrugged at Eragon and started to ramble off a bunch of names.

"There was Jura, Hirador, and Fundor— who fought the giant sea snake. Galzra, Briam, Ohen the Strong, Gretiem, Bemoan, Roslarb...." Brom continued until stopping after uttering one last name. "And Saphira. Was it any of those?"

"I'm afraid not. Well, Roran's probably finished with Horst. We should get back, though I'd rather not."

"What is that it? I expected to be answering your questions until he came looking. No queries about dragon battle tactics or request for descriptions of breathtaking aerial combat? Are we done?" I started to giggle at the thought, Eragon could go on forever if he wanted.

"For now, I learned what I wanted to and more. Besides, I'm sure Mal is bored out of her mind."

"Very well then," Brom said, ushering us towards the door. "Goodbye and take care, if you remember the name of that trader tell me, and you should learn a thing or two about being quiet from Mal."

"I will try, thank you," Eragon said before we headed out to Horst's forge.

"Do you think your dragon will like any of those names Eragon?"

"I hope," Eragon said, stepping over a fallen log. "Do you have a name in mind for yours?"

"I do, but I would like for my dragon to decide which name it will take." We both hurried to Horst's forge, where we met up with Roran and proceeded back to the farm.

"There was a stranger from Therinsford at Horst's today." Eragon looked at Roran with curiosity.

"What's his name?"

"Dempton." He came here to have Horst forge him some sockets."

"Doesn't Theirnsford have their own forge Roran," I asked while sidestepping a patch of ice.

"Yes, they do, but their smith isn't skilled enough to make sockets." Roman paused for a moment. "Dempton needs the sockets for his mill. He's expanding it and offered me a job. If I accept, I'll leave with him when he picks up the sockets."

Millers worked year-round and being around the giant millstones was very dangerous and often led to missing fingers or hands.

"Are you going to tell Garrow, Roran?" I asked. I wasn't sure Garrow would like the idea of Roran leaving the farm.

"Yes."

"What for? You know what he thinks about us going away. It'll only cause trouble if you say anything. Forget about it so we can eat dinner in peace."

"Eragon, it's Roran's choice."

"I can't. I'm going to take the job." Eragon halted and gave Roran a confused look.

"Why I know money is hard to come by, but we always manage to survive. You don't have to leave."

"No, I don't. But the money is for myself." Roran and I continued walking until we realized Eragon hadn't budged from his spot.

"Eragon, we are going to be late," I said with mild concern.

"What do you need it for?" Eragon demanded after a few seconds of silence.

"I want to marry," Roran said shortly.

"Katrina! Have you asked her yet?"

"Not yet but come spring, when I can raise a house I will."

"There's too much to do on the farm right now. You can't leave just yet. Wait until we are ready for planting."

"No, this is the best time for me to go, if all goes well, I'll soon be back working on the farm with a wife."

"Eragon and I wish you the best of luck Roran," I said with a smile. "But Garrow is unpredictable. I don't know how he will react."

"We will see, Mal, we will see." When we got home, Roran didn't speak a word about his plans to Garrow, but I have a feeling he will soon enough.

Eragon and I hurried along the path that led to our dragon's. This was our first visit since Eragon's dragon had spoken to him. Eragon had been freaked out by his experience and had been apprehensive about visiting. As Eragon ranted to his dragon about Roran's plans, I sat down at the base of a tree with my dragon in my lap.

"Mal." My dragon whispered in my mind.

"You need a name as well, my dragon. A strong name, fit for you, none one of those names Eragon has been listing off to his dragon, I can practically hear her laughing. I've been thinking, does Alethea feel right?" Alethea began to make a humming sound and settled in my lap for a nap. Eragon was still listing off names.

"Are you Saphira?" I smiled when she too began to hum.

"It took you a while to figure out that he was a she, Eragon." Eragon scowled at me while the three of us females laughed at him.

*****

Eragon and I sprinted down the muddy path to get away from Brom, who had just seen Eragon's mark.

"Contact Saphira Eragon, we need to make a decision," I yelled before calling Alethea.

"Alethea, we have been found out by Brom, please come."

"Already on my way Mal."

Eragon burst into an empty field with me close behind. We stood there for a few seconds before our two dragons descended from the sky.

"What happened that made Eragon be in so much panic right now?" Alethea asked, brushing her snout against my hand.

"Brom saw his mark. Brom can be trusted, though, that I am sure of. We also heard some visitors in town looking for yours and Saphira's eggs."

"Raz'ac." Both dragons hissed.