Chapter Seventeen: Iridescent

"There was a time that my mother did love him. It didn't take her long to figure out that the man she loved was a monster. She left me in Carvahall because it was dangerous for both of us. If we had been seen, I am sure she would have gotten dragged back to Ûru Baen, and I would have been at Galbatorix's mercy."

"That explains why she was so emotional. You are the spitting image of her, and it is unnerving having two Mals walking around." I laughed at what the future could be like.

"I suppose it is," I responded as Islandazí made a brief declaration. Eragon frowned and turned to Narí.

"What did she say?" Narí smiled before answering.

"To break open our finest casks and light the cook-fires, for tonight shall be a night of feast and song. Come!" Narí grabbed Eragon's arm and dragged him off into the celebration. I took a seat next to my mother and stayed mostly quiet during the celebration, watching what it was like to be an elf.

"It is late, I am tired, and I would return to my tower. Accompany me, Khensamel, Alethea, Saphira and Eragon, and I will show you where you may sleep tonight."

I stood up from the table and followed after Islanzadí. We reached the base of a giant tree.

"You needs must fly there, Saphira. Our stairs were not grown with dragons in mind." Saphira took flight and disappeared into the wood. "This is where the leader of the Dragon Riders would dwell while in Ellesméra. I give it to you now, for you are the rightful heir to that title... It is your inheritance."

Islanzadí swept past the tree and continued down the cobblestone road. I gave Eragon an assuring smile before following after my aunt. We continued until we came across an ornately carved tree.

"This is where Wënyalín hoped you would reside when you returned to us." I looked up at the tree before bowing my head at Islanzadí.

"Thank you for the space in which my dragon and I will reside."

"You do not need to be so formal Khensamel."

"Old habits die hard, and you can call me Mal," I replied with a small smile.

"Just like your mother," Islanzadí sighed before she and Arya continued down the path. Alethea curled her tail around my neck in comfort.

"You made a promise my Rider."

"I did, didn't I," I responded softly before heading up the wood steps. Every part of the house was ornately carved or decorated. I ran my hand up the smooth railing. Elven magic was stunning. I reached the top. It was open and spacious, leaving plenty of room for Alethea to glide around in her small form.

I walked over to the large opening at the back of the room and leaned out. I could hear the elves still celebrating. Their singing was relaxing and calmed my frayed nerves.

"Pardon our intrusion, my lady," I turned around to see two elves bowing. "Queen Islanzadí has sent us to assist you during your stay."

"Well, as much as I hate to admit it, I will be needing assistance changing my clothes. It can be hard trying to dress oneself with one hand, not to mention I am sure you two are more adept in what clothing is appropriate to wear."

"Of course, my lady." The two said nodding their heads.

"What are your names?"