Chapter Seventy-Four: Blinding

Spring had finally come. The trees turned green, bushes turned a sparkling array of colors, and flowers popped up all over the woods of Du Weldenvrangr. Of course, that meant that we needed to plant the crops for the year.

It had taken us two weeks to fully plant and sprout all of our crops with the help of our magic. Now that our magic and enchantments were taking care of the vegetables, Murtagh and I could spend more time with Selene and Fen.

After weeks of pleading, Murtagh and I finally relented and started teaching Fen the basics of the sword. I swear that child knew precisely how to manipulate us into doing what she wants.

So we both had combined her tutoring schedule with sword lessons intermittent. Yirlíta continued to teach her knowledge of healing despite the added lessons Fen placed on herself. Fen once again proved herself to be a diligent student, doing everything we asked and still finding time to play with Selene.

"Alright," I sighed, running a hand through my hair. "What do I pack for the baby? I mean she's never been outside of Du WeldenVrangr, not to mention on the back of a Dragon."

"I won't drop her, you know." Alethea huffed in a slightly hurt tone from her spot on the tree sculpture. It had been a gift from Murtagh so that she had something to perch on.

"No, no, I know you won't drop her," I reassured the dragoness. "I've just never traveled with a baby before, what do I bring? Will she be scared of flying? Does she need anything specific like traveling outfit?"

"You are overthinking it," Alethea replied. "Bring her clothing and pacifier, that is all you need."

"Really?" I asked, cocking my head to the side. "That's it?"

"Well her diaper cleans itself, and her food source is you, bathing supplies won't be necessary since you use the same soap to wash her. She is a seven moon cycle baby, she doesn't need much."

"What about toys?" This time Alethea actually snorted fire out of her nose.

"Send her to Fen, you know that Selene adores her."

"True," I mused. "though I think Fen adores Selene as well."

"Then pack her clothes and be done with it," Alethea said as Fen came scampering into the room.

"I've finished packing!" Fen crowed as she threw herself onto my bed. With a grin, she peered up at me with her beautiful green and red eyes.

"Did you pack everything I wrote down?" I asked her, raising an eyebrow. Fen nodded vigorously.

"I did it! I even read the list by myself!" I smiled at her excitement. Since teaching her how to read and write, I had been giving her simple reading to try and understand. The list of items she needed to pack was her final test.

"I think Yirlíta would be proud to hear that, Fen."

"Grandma Yirlíta would be proud of me?" Fen asked before a smile full of elation appeared on her face. I walked over to the side of the bed she was laying on and sat down next to her.

"She would," I repeated. "but she isn't the only one who is proud. Your father and I are unbelievably proud at the progress you've made, Fen. Words cannot express our emotions."

"Really?" Fen asked, her lower lip starting to tremble. I nodded at her and opened my arms for a hug.

"Come on and give me a hug." Fen threw herself into my arms as she burst into tears and buried her head in my chest. Wrapping my arms around her, I kissed the top of her head and whispered to her that she should be proud of herself. For it was her and her alone that achieved the feat.