Chapter Thirty-Six: Radiant

My shoulders itched as I sat with a pleasant smile. Unfortunately, my shoulder wasn't the only distraction. A soreness between my legs made it uncomfortable to sit proper, and the corset dug into the bruises on my hips.

I was sore in places that shouldn't be sore. Why did I have to meet these blasted suitors today?

As I shifted for what had to be the hundredth time in ten minutes, a maid came over with tea. Relived from the constant drone of the suitor next to me, I poured myself a cup and swirled in a drop of honey.

I took a sip, breathing in the herbal brew. I let out a deep breath and looked back up at the suitor. I think he has had long enough to talk about his accomplishments. If that was his tactic for wooing me, it was failing.

I no interest in men who were only concerned with themselves. No, what came to mind was selflessness. A well-educated mind. Swift on his feet. Intense--

"Grey eyes." I murmured out loud.

"Pardon, your highness?" I drew back from my inner thoughts and shook my head.

"Apologies, my mind went elsewhere for a moment," I said with a small smile. "My mind has been consumed by the battle, as of late."

"Oh, you needn't worry about the war, your highness," The nobleman drawled out. "The Varden scum have no chance of beating your father."

"Hmm," I sounded before taking another sip of tea. If only the nobleman knew just how wrong he was. The noble kept prattling on about his money and jewels while my mind went to Eragon. I hope that he and Saphira were alright.

I set my teacup down and stood up. I had had enough.

"As rich as you sound," I stated. "You are a self-entitled bore with no sense of morality. I would never marry you, not even for all the gold in the world."

His mouth flopped open as I strode from the room. I headed for the throne room. If my father thought I would ever marry any of those boorish self-entitled men, he was wrong. I'd instead run my sword through my heart.

I stormed into the throne room, my hands in fists, and my eyes narrowed. Advisors and noblemen scrambled to get out of my way as I stalked towards the throne.

"You can't honestly think," I seethed. "That I will ever marry one of those imbeciles!"

My father raised an eyebrow.

"Stron advised that those suitors have good blood—"

"They can't even tell their arse from their head!" I hissed, causing several men to cough. "What? Do they shit gold or something!?! Is that why you want me to marry one of them!?!"

The advisor standing next to my father turned red at my words. Most likely an effort to hold in laughter.

"Perhaps her highness is right," An advisor said, striding forward. "Maybe she should marry someone with a promise of a Dragon Rider? Maybe the boy himself?"

I blinked at the advisor's words, holding back the emotions that wanted to flow through my body. My father put his hand to his trimmed beard.

"Yes, a marriage between her and the boy would certainly provide a better chance, wouldn't it?"

"Am I supposed to do something?" I asked, narrowing my eyes on my father. He smiled at me before striding towards me and placing a hand on my shoulder.