TWENTY SIX

Ashanti

Dad sat at the table in the kitchen.

"Why the fuck are you letting this fucking guy into your yard?" Ty said to me, scowling. "After what he did,"

"What did he do?" I gave him the same attitude. "You, Adrien and mum never tell me a fucking thing, how do you want me to send my own father out of my house if you don't tell me what he did to me,"

"You're so fucking difficult, fam, I'm telling you, it's better for you to make him leave," Ty looked at me. "I'm your brother. I'm supposed to look after you. I don't want you to get hurt,"

"If you tell me what happened, I can't get hurt," I said.

Ty shook his head and looked down.

"Okay, don't talk to me, then." I walked away from him and into the kitchen where dad was sitting. Ty came in shortly after me but didn't say a word.

"Ashanti. Oh, okay," dad got up and laughed. "You're a big girl now,"

Guys, allow my dad, he's so fresh 😂

I laughed and hugged him. "Dad, I missed you,"

"Me too," he let go of me and shook his head. "I should have come sooner, you're already in university, wow,"

"Yeah," I smiled.

"Wow," he repeated, looking around. "I didn't know you could take care of yourself like this."

"I haven't been by myself, I've had Eli with me the whole time," I looked at her as she washed some dishes.

Dad laughed, still amazed. "What of your brothers and sister? Amaris and Alexis, how are they?"

I shrugged. "They're fine. You should go and see them. And mum. She misses you too,"

"Yes, your mum," dad sat back down. "Has she asked of me at all?"

"I don't know," I started.

"She doesn't want you near her," Ty crossed his arms.

We both looked at him.

"Ignore him, he's just jealous," I rolled my eyes. "Um, so, dad, how did you know where I stay though? You haven't called me in months,"

"Amaris told me,"

"So you talk to Amaris a lot?" I asked.

"... no, I tried to call you but you must have changed your number,"

"Oh,"

Why did it feel so awkward? This is my dad, guys. He feels like a stranger right now.

Dad looked at me again. "Eh-ehn, I brought you something,"

I smiled. "Dad, you didn't have to,"

He lifted up a large, dark LV bag. I opened it and was seeing some mad designer packages. I saw some Gucci, Pandora, Burberry... Bruv, is this real?

"Dad," I scoffed. "Wh-what the hell?"

"You don't like it?" he looked in the bag.

"No, I love it... but, why?" I asked.

"I always used to buy you things when I come back from my work trips," dad explained. "You're a big girl now, abi?"

Abi just means 'right?'

"Yeah," I nodded still looking through the bag in shock. "But you didn't have to, daddy,"

"No, now. I have to treat my daughter, and I haven't been the best father. Especially these few year. I thought you were angry with me,"