Chapter 34

Chapter 34

"You okay? You've been dozing off the whole day?" Jane asked Chloe who was helping her finish the centre table piece for the wedding reception.

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine. Sorry, I was just thinking." She explained briefly.

"Thinking about what?" Jane questioned, with an idea on her mind of who Chloe might be thinking about.

Chloe sighed, putting the vase down that she was in the middle of decorating. "He's just been acting so strange ever since he's arrived."

"I'm sorry, who are we talking about here?" Jane innocently asked even though she already knew who it was.

Chloe shot her a dirty look, certain that her friend knew who the subject of their conversation was. Jane chuckled as Chloe sent her daggers through her eyes and sat down on the chair across from Chloe.

"Chlo, we all know how Ace is. He's the most confusing man alive on earth. He's the hardest puzzle made to mankind to solve. Nothing about him is common sense. You know that, I know that, everybody knows that."

"I know, I just..." She trailed off, unsure of what to say. When nothing came to mind, she just let out a heavy sighed. "I guess I'm just overthinking things." She said as she shook her head as if that would somehow get the thoughts of Ace out of her mind.

Jane squinted her eyes at Chloe in a suspicious manner. "Say Chlo, do you still have feelings for Ace? And please, be honest with me and yourself."

Chloe avoided eye contact with her by keeping her head low and keeping her eyes on the roll of ribbon her fingers were fidgeting with. "Silence means yes." Jane murmured when Chloe didn't respond for a little while.

Chloe groaned and placed her hands to cover her eyes in embarrassment. "How much more pathetic can I get? I mean, the guy broke my heart multiple times and hurt my feelings over and over again. God, he even left the city without uttering a word and never replied to any of my messages. That should've been a big sign saying that it's never gonna happen. Yet here I am still hoping that maybe, just maybe, someday somehow we can finally be together. How pathetic do I sound?" She explained, running her hands down her face in frustration.

"You're not pathetic, Chlo." Jane sympathetically murmured. "You're just madly in love with him." She stated.

"Well then, how do I fall out of it?! Why can't that just go through my stupid heart and my stubborn head?! It took me 4 years, 4 freaking years, to build all these walls around me and he hasn't even been here for a week and he has already torn half of it down. Why am I such a fool when it comes to love?!" She whined, hiding her face with her hands in shame. She was waiting for Jane to speak and tell her what to do but she kept quiet. Chloe peeked through her hands to find Jane finishing off the vase that she was working on earlier.

"This would be the time when you start giving me advises and tell me how stupid I'm being." Chloe told her, making Jane look up from what she was doing.

Jane heaved out a sigh. "You really want my advise?"

"Yes!"

"Why don't you two give it a shot? I mean if you like him and he likes you, what's really stopping the both of you from pursuing each other?"

"We know he doesn't like me that way. He's never had and he never will." Chloe muttered in disappointment.

"Well, have you asked him? Because from what I see, he's very much interested in you. I don't know what's holding him back, but if the both of you just talk it out and finally come to a conclusion of how you truly feel for each other, then maybe you'll finally get somewhere."