Chapter 14 Home

Meanwhile, Vivian and Kirito were home. Vivian stood in the kitchen while Kirito sat at the dining table. She tied her hair into a ponytail and washed the vegetables. She peeled them and chopped them. Then she began cutting the onions as tears flowed down her eyes. Kirito watched her cook.

"Why not just skip cutting onions?" Kirito presented his opinions as someone who had never cooked before.
"No, then it's not as tasty" Vivian continued cutting them "It's okay. I can bear with it."

She kept the chopped onions aside and turned on the stove. She poured some olive oil into the pan and kept it on it. Till the time it heated up, she gridded some tomatoes. She washed some chicken and kept it in another bowl. Kirito just stared at her work until she was done. She kept the food on the plate and served it to Kirito.

"Do you want sauce? It tastes better with it."
"No, I don't like sauce." He took a bite of the crusty chicken.
"How is it? Do you like it?" Vivian asked as she leaned on the table and looked at him. He looked at her and then back at the food "It's edible"

"Okay I'll get to work" Vivian rubbed her wet hands on the apron.
"Work?"
"I need to do the laundry, clean the bathroom and also the house, get groceries, wash the dishes, dust the tables and clean the windows. There's a lot of work!" She picked up a basket.

"After you eat, change your clothes. I'll wash them."
"Where are you going?" Kirito asked.
"To the balcony. I need to stuff the clothes in the washing machine."
"Sit down"
"But the clothes--"
"Sit." He ordered and she sat on the chair beside him with the basket in her hand. He ate another piece of chicken and then looked at her.

"Keep that shit aside. Are you trying to piss me off?"
"Oh, no, sorry." She kept the basket aside. He took a deep breath and looked at her attire. She was dressed up in a light blue German frock, her hair was unkept and tied up in a clumsy high pony.

"Did you eat today?" He asked.
"I will- After I take bath"
"Then, go take a bath."
"But I need to clean first."
"The maid can do that."
"We don't have a maid." She reminded him.

He picked up a piece of chicken with the fork and said "Here, eat. I don't want to find you laying on the floor again." She took the fork from him and ate the piece.

"Are you an idiot?"
"Why?"
"I was feeding you."
"Yeah and I ate"
"Forget it. Go clean." He snatched the fork from her. She picked up the basket and ran away. He pressed his forehead and looked at the fork. 'Pathetic'

He sat on the sofa while reading the newspaper while she cleaned the floor. She pressed the mop under her feet and ran around the house as if she were some figure skater.

"You make me feel good like no other
I just want everyone to see what I've discovered~" She sang while cleaning the floor. Kirito peeped at her over the newspaper. She dipped the mop into the water and then went into another room.

"Now I wanna embrace life
You and I side by side~" He heard her sing. He got up and walked towards the kitchen. He made some coffee.

"Where's the sugar?" He asked.
"What are you doing?"
"Making coffee- oh wait- I found it" He picked up a jar of sugar cubes in the closet. She washed the mop and got another cloth. She began cleaning the glass windows, sliding door and the dining table. She cleaned the kitchen and did the dishes. After she was done, she took out the clothes from the washing machine and put them to dry. Then, she came back inside and with a huge black plastic bag.

"Are you done?" He asked.
"I need to throw out the garbage, then I'll take a bath, eat and go to buy groceries."
"Then?"
"Then I'll clean the bathroom and prepare for dinner."
"Alright, go take a bath. I'll throw this out" He took the plastic bag from her.

"Do you even know where we throw it?" She asked.
"The truck must be about to come"
"Wow, you're smart!"
"Unlike someone, yes I am." He slipped his feet into his slippers and got out of the apartment.

He walked out to the lift and reached the ground floor. He walked to the huge dustbin outside the apartment's main door. The guard looked at him with surprise.
"What? Never seen a man do some housework?" Kirito glared at him.

"No, sir." The guard bowed down apologetically .Kirito threw the plastic bag into the dustbin and looked at the sky.

'I wonder what Erika would be doing right now. I miss my phone. I'll buy a new one today evening for sure'

He turned and walked back into the apartment. He got into the lift, while a high school girl and boy stood inside it with a softdrink in their hands. He pressed his back on the wall as they stood in front of him. They were whispering to each other and laughing. Suddenly, the boy tucked the girl's bra strap from over her shirt. She blushed and pushed his hand away accidentally dropping her drink on Kirito's shirt.

"Ah! I'm so sorry!" She apologised.
"It's okay" He smiled "Please don't play around in the lift, it's inconvenient just to watch" He told the guy. The guy bowed down to apologise as Kirito walked out of the door.

"Teens nowadays," He walked into his apartment "I'm back" He removed his shirt. He threw it on the sofa and got inside the bath "Got you more laundry--"

Vivian turned to look at him as she sat on the floor with a towel wrapped around her and shampoo in her hair. Kirito looked at her.

"Well... Shit"

"Indeed" Jericho said with a smirk as he sat inside a roadside ramen shop with a bowl of ramen in front of him.

He took the chopsticks and joined his hands "So tell me, can you resist the temptation?"

- To be continued 

Jeroboam Hatsugu
My Heart Hates Me