Chapter 54 Fight Back And Love Me

Ethan stood on the balcony, sipping on his bear as Vivian slept on the bed. "I feel empty," He turned towards her sleeping face.

"Vivian, look at me too..." He stood inside the balcony, separated by an invisible wall Vivian seemed to form even as she slept. He couldn't approach her anymore. He turned back towards the balcony.
"I knew it would happen. Show biz has never made anyone happy except the bystanders. They call this entertainment? This isn't entertainment. I am not entertained. Not one bit." He continued drinking.

Next morning, Ethan woke up with a bad hangover. Vivian wasn't there. The dishes weren't done, the food wasn't made.
"Maybe she left in a hurry, I wonder if she ate."
He got up and took a bath. The pitter-patter of the water drops on the bathroom floor was the only sound he could hear. He came out of the bathroom and walked on the carpet to the bedroom.

He wore his shirt and looked at Vivian's clothes. He stared at them for some time and then closed the cupboard. He prepared some toasts and coffee. He ate half of it and drank some coffee while looking at the news. The Internet was filled with the advertisements of Vivian's Debut album. People were really excited for it to come out. Ethan looked at the comments which went from talent to visuals. He closed the tab and took a deep breath.

As he drove through the streets, huge billboards had her pictures. She was everywhere yet not near him. He didn't want people to look at her. He didn't want her to look at people. But his wishes meant nothing to her anymore. She was free.

He reached his office and met his father on his way.
"Oh! Kirito! My son!" Mr Hiomi said as he walked beside him "I saw Vivian! She looked so good! She's an idol now? Why was I so unaware-" "Not now, Dad," Ethan walked away. Mr Hiomi stared at him until he dropped out of sight. He entered his office and locked the door. He looked at his phone-

"Sorry sir, I've caught a cold. I will be on a leave for a few days - Sora" He threw it on the table beside him and looked at the pile of files ahead of him. He pressed his body on the door and slowly slid down. "Work. Money. And work again" He said.
He sat on the chair and opened the files. His eyes seemed tired and he yawned as he looked into the files.

'It's our anniversary today... but she seems more excited about her debut. Well, I shouldn't disturb a busy person'

The debut went on air at noon. Vivian was scheduled to have a party at Mr Sejok's place that night. It was important for her to socially interact with important people now that she was moving towards stardom too.

Ethan brought home a cake. He rung up Vivian's phone. She picked it up on the third call "Vivian--"
"I'm busy, Ethan. Can I call back an hour later?"
"Okay."

It was eight in the evening. He kept his phone in his hands and looked at the cake. The clock ticked and like always, that was the only sound he could hear in that huge house. He felt isolated and lonely. But he knew she would call. She must have been excited for their first anniversary.

It was midnight. He sat just like that, staring at the cake and checking his phone again and again. He called her again and she picked up "Vivian"
"Oh! I forgot to call! Sorry, Ethan. So, what was it?" She asked. It was midnight. The day was officially over. It was the next day, it was not their anniversary anymore.

"How was your debut?" He asked.
"Didn't you see the premiere? It was lit! People seem to love me!" She said, happily. Ethan smiled "That's nice"
"Is that all?"
"Are you busy?"
"No, I just wanted to sleep. I need to get up at four tomorrow morning-- Oh! I mean today"

"Okay. Goodn--"
She hung up. He kept his phone aside and looked at the cake. Fate stood outside the window and stared at him. "That's why an angel's is better, or so I thought..."