Chapter 29 An Angel's Work Of Art

It had been three days since Vivian's operation. Kirito had a meeting with doctor.
"Vivian has depressed brainstem reflexes" The doctor said as he looked at her report.
"What's that?"

"The brain turning responses off--
Such as pupils not responding to light, no responses of limbs, except for reflex movements, no response to painful stimuli and irregular breathing. The person is still alive, but the brain is functioning at its lowest stage of alertness."

"You mean a coma?"
"Yes. So, we'll setup a life support"
"A life support?"
"It's any combination of machines and medication that keeps a person's body alive when their organs would otherwise stop working. However, people who are using a life-support device don't always recover. They may not regain the ability to breathe and function on their own."

"Till when do you think it will last?"
"That is unpredictable. It can last for few weeks, months or even years,"
"I see."
"We'll shift her to another ward--"
"Can I take her back home?" Kirito interrupted.
"You can but I suggest you don't. You need an entire team of professionals, regular medical care and an entire life support apparatus."

"Then, where will you keep her?"
"We keep coma patients on life support in an intensive care unit. The bed costs, at a minimum 217,800¥ to 435,644 ¥ (Approx $2,000-$4,000) per day and can run much higher depending on the patient's condition, into millions an year."

The book began shining again and Lucus picked it up. He looked into it and Vivian grabbed his hand.
"Is this all you do all day?" They both were sitting on the peak of the Tokyo Tower.
"Yeah" He replied with a smile.
"Seems interesting. You can meet so many people." Vivian said.

"Dead people" He corrected.
"Dead people"
"Wanna tag along?" He asked.

"Sure! Let's go!" She held his hand and looked into the book "Philippines!"
Soon, both of them disappeared in a dark cloud. When she opened her eyes, she found herself in a hospital lobby.

"Where are we?" She asked Lucus. "Cebu, Philippines. We are at the Central hospital" He answered and walked into a ward.

Two people lay on two beds. One was an old woman with grey hair and wrinkled skin, the second was a little girl, barely eleven, crying as she lay on the bed. Her parents sat beside her.
"Why is such a small girl in a hospital?" Vivian asked.

"She has blood cancer-- Final stage." Jericho looked at her.
"But she's so young! You can't take her away!"
"I don't decide who is to die, I just follow this." He pointed at the book.

"Then who is it who decides who is to die?" Vivian asked.
"Fate" He replied.
"This is--"

The girl shrieked as her pain grew stronger. Jericho walked towards her as his hair dyed peach and his clothes turned into a black getup. Her parents looked at her and her father ran out to call the doctor. She struggled and Vivian looked at her. Finally, she gave up. Her mother shouted out her name and began crying. Vivian pressed her head on Lucus's back, sadly.

"Don't kill her" She requested.
Lucus ignored her and opened the book. He looked into the book and his eyes turned grey.

"Come, let's go home" He said, softly. Her soul came out of her body and stood before Lucus. Her father and doctor reached there by that time and ran towards her dead body. Her mother pressed her forehead on his shoulders as she cried louder.

The little girl looked at Lucus as he wrote something in the book. "Aisha, Age; 11 years, cause of death; uncontrolled infection, blood cancer, Died on; 20th day of the month of October"

"Who are you?" She asked in Filipino.
He leaned towards her and pressed her head gently "I am Lucus, the Angel of Death. I'm here to guide your soul." Lucus said in Filipino.