Chapter 7 What A Smile Hides

Next morning, Kirito and Vivian sat at the dining table. His phone buzzed with Erika's messages.

'Kirito, you're late! Why aren't you here yet?!'
He looked at his phone and kept it aside while continuing to eat the bowl of noodles. Vivian sat in front of him- gazing at him eat and talking to him.

"Mom wanted me to be your 'perfect' bride. I was taught all household chores, I used to clean our house everyday and cook for everyone-- even from the less or missing ingredients. They didn't wanted you to complain after we marry.

But I thought-- you'd love me unconditionally, even if I couldn't do all that. I wouldn't work a day and at that time I thought my mother was stupid. But I stupid haha. A human should work."

He drunk the soup and kept the empty bowl aside. He cleaned his mouth with a cloth.

"I come from a very poor family from a small, remote village in Germany-- so I don't know anything about the way you dress up here. Can you teach me?"

He looked into his phone and started texting. Then he looked at Vivian and said "What all can you cook?"
"Anything you want me to." Vivian smiled.

'So, you didn't even listen.'

"Can you cook French cuisine too?" He asked.
"I can. What do you want to eat?".
"I wanna ea--"

Suddenly, his phone started ringing. He picked it up immediately and went out of the room into the balcony.
"Why aren't you here yet?! I'm standing here for so long!" Erika shouted at him. She seemed quite vexed.

"Sorry, I'll be right there." He hung up and turned towards Vivian.
"I'll come back late tonight. Don't prepare my dinner" He picked up his cost and walked towards the door.
"Isn't it your off from work today?" She followed him till the door "I thought we could--"

"Clean up." He slammed the door at her face. She just stood at the door, scared to open it again. She walked towards the sliding door and looked down the balcony.

Kirito walked to his car while talking on his phone. She waved at him but he seemed too engaged into his phone and didn't look at her. She watched his car go. Then, she moved back to the table and picked up the bowl.

'Why do you feel colder everyday? And who is that person you talk to? Are you doing what they call cheating?'

She paused but then shook her head "Kirito could be cold and mean but not a cheater! I shouldn't doubt his character. Forget it. What should I cook for dinner? I guess, I'll make something French!"

Vivian was ready for an intense round of grocery shopping when she realised that she had no money in her pockets. She called Kirito but he didn't answer. So, she reached out to her father-in-law.

"You want money?" Mr. Hiomi asked as he smoked a pipe while standing at the balcony of his house.
"Yes, dad." Vivian smiled.

He was surprised she came all the way to their house on feet just to ask for money. It must have been something urgent and also might be a huge sum of it. He asked her why she needed it.

"I need to get some groceries." She replied.
"Just that? Why don't you ask that from Kirito?"
"He's not here."
"Not here? Isn't it his off today?"
"He said he has some work"
"Work?"

'Why don't I know of it? Why would he lie to her?'

"Hurry up, dad! I need to cook dinner too!"
Mr Hiomi decided not to bring this matter up to Vivian. Not now, not ever. But then, he realised something and asked:
"Why are you cooking? Where's the housekeeper?"