State Of Mine

I hide as a truck when past us... again. I waited a minute before coming out of hiding. "Another one of those recycling trucks. Somebody's burning gas like there's no apocalypse." Doc said and I stared at the group. This isn't good. "Yeah, what was in that crate?" Warren asked. "What it is, I'll bet it's headed to Altura." George said. "Great." I said, throwing my hands in the air. "I think you're right. But where is it coming from?" Warren asked as I dropped my hands. Warren walked away from us as we stood there. "Warren?" George asked. I walked over to Warren and stood behind her. "Knowledge is buried underneath the past. Guarded by demons with sharp claws." Warren said as I stared at the huge claw. "The ancestor's prophecy?" George asked. "Worth checking out. Stay quiet. Keep low." Warren said as I turned to face her back, walking away. "Well, cool, at least we're sticking together." Doc said. We're not sticking together.

"North American Recycling." I muttered as I held my binoculars up. "Quite the operation." Doc said as I kept looking around. "Altura. What are they up to now?" George asked and I stopped, seeing the talkers. "They're Talkers all right." Warren said. "Talkers?" George asked. "What are they doing?"Doc asked. "They're scavenging. Electronics." George said. "Phones. Laptops. Computers. TV's." I kept the list going. "No, they're mining something." Warren said. "Caution. Hazardous materials." Tommy said. "Of course. Why can't the signs ever say anything nice? Like, baby goats, this way." Doc said. I smiled as I kept looking around. "Should we be worried about this stuff?" George asked and I looked at her. "It's the apocalypse. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger." Warren said. "Well then I'm superman." Doc said back. "Want me take up a position?" Tommy asked.

"Good to have you back, baby boy. But I need to figure out what's going on before you start shooting people. We're gonna split up. You and Doc go figure out where they're loading these trucks. And we are gonna check out these miners." Warren said and I looked at her. "I can't go down there." I said to her and she looked at me. "I have one of the most wanted faces of the apocalypse. That news about my sister never got to the dam, how do we know it got down here?" I pointed out. "Alright, got with Doc and 10k and don't get caught, baby girl." Warren said. "That didn't take long." Doc said and I followed after them.

We hid after we saw a guard. Tommy countdown, but I heard screaming. I turned to see that the guard was gone as blood when everywhere. I quickly covered my mouth as I screamed into my hand, my eyes widen. "What happened?" Doc asking looking over where the guard was. I felt a hand on my shoulder as I kept staring. "Come on." Doc said as we all got up to see what happened. The closed we walked the more I thought I'd see a dead body, cut in pieces, ripped apart. Something to add up all that blood. We stopped at the hole and saw nothing. "Damn. Something sucked him right in there. Creepy, right?" Doc asked as I turned away from the bloody mess. "Yeah. Creepy." Tommy said as I saw someone in a long hooded cape walk away from us. I watched it for a moment before I when after it.

I walked after the tall hooded figure, taking every step it took, every stop it made. I mean I know it was a dumb idea, but I can't turn back now.  No one saw this huge hooded figure. I stopped as it walked after some of the guards. I leaned out to see this hooded figure killing the guards. The guards blood when everywhere as I pulled my myself back against the garbage. Their screams and gunfire filled the quiet air as the scent of blood where everywhere. I leaned out again and the hooded figure turned to face me. His face just showing. Yes it was a male and by what I could see it was a talker. He started to come at me. I was grabbed and pulled back. I stared at a guard as he held me tightly. "What are you doing here?" he asked loudly. I had to be quick. I quickly kicked him and he fell into the garbage. "It's you. That bounty must be good." he told me. The hooded talker walked this way, his heavy feet hitting the ground like my heart beating loudly in my ears. The guard pushed me into the garbage and held me there.