Zombie Road

I kept taking steps up the hill as I could hear the thunder lightly clap behind up. I turned to watch it for a moment. The dark clouds and the light shining throw. "We are going the wrong direction. Again." Murphy said, pulling me back. "You left us no choice. Too much fallout in the West."  Warren said to him as I caught up with the group. "Again. That was not my fault." Murphy said as I rolled my at him.  "Murphy, don't make me have to explain the term 'failsafe doomsday weapon' again. Please." Doc said to him as I stared up at them.  "How do you even know California's still there?" Murphy asked. "I thought you were hoping it was?" I asked him, scratching my head. Someone grabbed my wrist and I looked up at 10k. "Don't scratch." he said in a low tone. "Sorry." I said to him. His face flushed as he let my wrist go. "Don't be." he said. "Are the two of you good?" Vasquez asked and I slowly nodded. "It's healing, Jean." Warren said to me and I nodded at her.

"Could we focus on California please?" I asked slowly. "Again, how do we know it's there?" Murphy asked looking at me. I heard a sigh from Vasquez before he took a step forward.   "You're looking ripe. You better hope it's still there." he said, hands up behind Murphy.  "Move." he said and pushed Murphy. I tried to grab Vasquez before he pushed, but failed and stopped myself from falling down the hill, by taking a few quick steps. Murphy turned and looked at Vasquez,  "You are not the boss of me." Murphy said, staring at him. "She is." Murphy said, looking over at Warren.  "I can handle this." Warren said, stepping in. she turned and pushed Murphy too. "Move." Warren said to him. I stared over at him before sighing.  "Gladly." Murphy said back and walking off. "You'll get used to him." Warren said to Vasquez.

I walked, the grass crunching under my boots. Smoke raising up from something out of sight.  "10K, let me see your scope." Warren said.  I uncliped my binoculars and looked down at the a truck. I felt something crawl up my back and pull at me knees. "Oh, looky here." Warren said, slightly quieter than normal. The burning of the gas, metal and rubber hit my nose and I lower my binoculars and clipped them back into place. I stared up for a moment. "It's fine." I muttered.  "What are we gonna do about her?" 10k asked and I turned to see him watching Cassandra.  "Cassandra?"Warren asked.  "She's not Cassandra. Not anymore." 10k said and I walked over to them.  "Maybe there's a way back for her, when we get to California." Warren said. "Maybe." 10k said back to her. "It's happened before and last time " I said, looking back at the burning truck.

The smoke blow in the wind as the truck rocked slowly. I felt a hand covering my eyes and I jumped, turning quick. "It's just me." he said to me and I slowly smiled up at him. Still covering the road with his hand as I could hear a truck. I took his hand and slowly moved it. I stared down the road and grabbed my binoculars. "10k look." I handed them to him, letting his hand go and he looked down at the road. "Is that some kind of post apocalyptic wagon train?" Doc asked and I turned to face them."Well it ain't the 3:10 to Yuma." Warren said. I took 10k hand and walked over to the groups. I could hear gunfire and bullets flying everywhere. "Don't get out of the truck." Warren said, watching them. "It's gonna be a slaughter." Addy said as I stood there watching. "Can't expect to travel through a valley without an ambush. Didn't nobody ever watch westerns growing up?" Murphy asked us.

I stared as... I can't really see what the hell is going on. I was kind of too short to see anything. Behind everyone, so I started to move. "Can't see pip squeak?" I turned to look at Murphy. "That's a new one." I muttered to myself. "What was that?" he asked me. "I said shut it."I said to him. He just let out a laugh at me as I stood there. "Looks like they're holding off for now." Doc said, pulling me back. "Not bad for a bunch of sitting ducks." Warren laughed. "Well, you think we should, I dunno, help them?" Doc asked and walk closer to them. I came up to Warren and watched as Vasquez grabbed 10k snip from Warren and lowered it.  "Think less like a missionary and more like a mercenary. Let's wait and steal the vehicles from the victor." he said to her. "You clearly don't know this group." I muttered and looked up at him after. I could hear Warren and 10k laughing to themselves as what I said. "We may not be able to save the world. But maybe we can save them. 10K and Vasquez, that way. Addy, you're with me. Jean,Doc,  you watch him and her." Warren said and I nodded.