Heartland

"Okay, what about the video where the cat like totally protects a toddler from an attacking dog? Like comes like tearing around, claws and fangs, and the dog turns tail and scrams?" Addy asked Tommy and I turned to her. They've been at this for God knows how long. "We only used the internet for ordering guns." Tommy told her and Addy sighed. I didn't know the video either, but I'm saying a word. "Okay, keyboard cat? Okay, you have to have seen keyboard cat. He was everywhere." Addy said and my face lit up. "And that dress to hide the hands." I said to Addy and she smiled at me. "See, everywhere." Addy said and we both turned to Tommy. "Oh, yeah. I think I heard of him. He.. like... types?" Tommy asked slowly and we kept staring at him. "What is the deal with cat videos anyway? Dogs are way cooler." Tommy said and I smiled up at him. "Dogs can't play piano." Addy said and I sighed. "When was the last time you seen a cat?" I asked Addy. "I dunno. When was the last time you saw a dog?" Addy asked. "In Altura." Tommy said and Addy stared. "Someone has a dog?" Addy asked.

"These fields need to be harvested. They're going to seed." Warren said and we all turned to her. "A friend of mine helped me move a group of Talkers from here to Limbo. But I don't know how many live humans are left to work the fields." Addy said. We all started to walk down the hill and down to the town. Addy stopped at the sign. "Welcome to Heartland." She read out loud. "What's the plan?" Addy asked. "Make contact with the locals and see what we find out about what's in these bizkits." Warren said. "And then what? What's our end game here?" Addy asked and I stared at her. I slowly turned to Warren and stared at her. "Help George with this idea of hers. A new country." Warren said and I stared. "I don't think we're the nation-building types. You know?" Addy said, walking away from us. She turned and stared. "More like the tear-shit-up types." Addy said to us. "Whoever controls the supply of bizkits controls the new world. And we want to make sure that we got the right people in charge." Warren said as we followed Addy. "Uh huh. Like George?" Addy asked. I looked up at Tommy. "She's a natural leader. That's who you want in battle." Warren said and Tommy looked down at me. We both turned away from Addy and Warren.

"Yeah, but you pick your battles." Addy said. "Bodies up ahead. At least two of them." Tommy said. We walked up to the bodies. "Mercied?" Warren asked as Tommy and I when up to the body. I bent down and touched the body. I turned it over and stared at the bullet size hole in his head. "Talker?" Tommy asked. I looked for signed of Talker, but there wasn't any. "No human." I told him. I quickly got up and the two of us when over to Warren and Addy. "Feed us." I heard and I looked around. "You hear that?" Tommy asked and we kept looking around. They kept calling out to feed them and I kept looking around. Warren told us to split up and look around. They kept calling out as I walked around cars and trucks. Their voices were everywhere, almost surrounding us. I saw something out of the corner of my eye and I turned only to see they hide again. They kept calling out to us, begging to be fed. We had no bizkits on hand.

"10K! Heads up!" I heard Addy say and I turned to walk over to them. "I see them." I heard Tommy say. "Oh, no, don't shoot. That's a Talker." Addy said as I reached them. "Are you sure? He looks pretty bad." Tommy said. "She's right. If he's still talking, he might know something. Follow my lead." I turned to watch Warren. Warren put her gun away as I put my knife back. Warren raised her hands and I slowly did the same. "I love it when she says that." Addy said.We followed after Warren. She walked down the road as Talkers came out to us. "We come in peace! We hear that you're hungry! But we don't have any bizkits! But we can help you!" Warren said and now we were surrounded and standing with our shoulders touching each other. "What happens when Talkers stop talking?" Tommy asked. "Umm, I'm guessing not good." Warren said and I turned to Tommy. The talker growled at us as we stood there. I turned back to the talkers and stared. "We don't want to hurt you!" Addy said to them as they got closer. "Okay, back off! Back off!" Warren said. "Hey, hey, hey, hey. Don't hurt them." Addy said to Warren. "I'm trying." Warren said. This is going to end badly. I closed my eyes and tried to calm myself.