The Storm

The wind blew past me, pushing my hair to my salty sticky face. I whipped it away and stared out at the vast emptiness. I lowered my hand to my stretched stomach. Nothing was coming, not today and not for the seven months. I slowly walked down the wooden stairs, holding the railing. My loose fitting boots hit the ground. "I'm starting to think, they aren't coming." Hall said. "Maybe it was the last of them." "No, they're out there." Murphy said and Hall rolled his eyes. "It's an old tactic, waiting out until the other side slips up." Sarge said and I looked at her. "So, we're just going to sit here and grow tired? Or are we going to wait them out? Cause I'm getting tired of all this standing around." Murphy said and I sighed. "We're going to wait this out." Warren said. "Do we have any choice?" Murphy asked. "Maybe you didn't hear Sargent Lily. If we slip up, they'll be at our doors." George said. I walked closer to them and stared.

"George, your coat is a mess." I said, fixing it on her. "What is she doing?" George asked. I stopped and looked her over. "It's the pregnancy, you should see the house." Tommy said as I felt his hands on me. "Please tell me, you've been helping her?" Murphy said. "Of cause he has, who do you think you're talking about?" Addy asked. I turned to Tommy and stared at him. I smiled at him, before I noticed what was happening with Murphy. "Murphy." I said and walked closer to him. "Jean." Tommy said as I grabbed Murphy's shirt. "What is with these buttons?" I asked him. "Jean, you've fixed this shirt seven times." Murphy said. I took a step back and stared at him. "I have?" I asked and he nodded. "Sorry." I said and he waved me off. There was a loud blast, a gunshot, and something hitting wood. I turned a hand over my heart, as some person's gun accidentally went off. "I'm going to go." I said, walking away and back home.

"Here." I looked up and smiled at Tommy. I smiled at him as he sat down next to me. "You're too good to-- give me your hand." I said and Tommy gave me his hand. I placed his hand over my tummy and he stared. "They're so active." He said and I smiled. "Wow." He added. "Oh, that one hurt." I muttered. "Here." Tommy said and he got closer to my tummy. He was whispering, whispering things I couldn't hear, but it was his voice that calmed them down. There was a knock at the door and Tommy got up. He opened the door to Doc and Sarge. All three of them looked at me, before they walked out the door. That's not good. Nothing is ever good when they walk out like that. What's going on? Oh god, it's happening. They're here and the-- I felt more kicking and I put my hand over. Geneva, calm down. I know you're scared, but you need to breathe. It's not just you.

The door opened and Tommy speed walked and down the hall. "It's happening isn't it?" I asked and Doc and Sarge turned to me. "Well, you see kid--" Sarge smacked Doc and Doc looked at her. "Don't lie to her." Sarge said. "It is and there are a lot of them. I have no idea how many and we don't even have a plan." Doc said quickly, Sarge's head dropped and facepalmed. "I really shouldn't have let him talk." Sarge said to herself. "That don't-- thanks Doc." I said and I stared at him. Tommy came back and I stared at him. "Stay here." I heard. "Where would I go." I asked, slowly sitting down. I heard the door open as I stared out the window. I felt someone kiss my forehead. I turned to face Tommy and smiled. He walked to the door, without a word and closed it behind his, just as swiftly.

I got up from the couch and walked quickly to the door. "10k." I said loudly and he turned around. He came running back to me and I carefully threw my arms around his neck. "Be careful." I whispered. "I'll come back in one piece." He whispered, brushing some hair behind my ear. He slowly pulled away and I took his hand. I held it tightly and pressed my lips to his palm. "Just be safe." I whispered and he smiled at me. "I'll be back before you know it." he whispered. "10k, come on." Doc said and Tommy turned to face Doc, before turning back to me. "Go. be a hero." I said to Tommy and he smiled at me. I watched them walk away before opening the door. It closed behind my back as I leaned on it.

There was a knock sounding like it was hitting my head. I opened my eyes, I was on the floor. How did I get here? I rubbed the last of the sleep from my eyes. I looked around and saw that it was Tommy's and I house. I put my hands on the floor and tried to get up. I couldn't, great. "Jean?" I heard on the other side. It was George. "Geneva?" I heard again. "I'm here, George, I'm here...I'm just stuck on the floor." I said and I heard her move. "I can't get up. My back is on the door." I said louder. "Are there any windows open?" I heard her ask. "Um..." I started to think about it. "Um... the other day Tommy, Doc and Warren were painting the other day. They said they left the window open to air it out. I think it..." I closed my eyes to think about it. "It is still open." I said, nodding to myself.

I listened as I heard her walk away. There was a small crashing sound upstairs and I knew it was George, it still made me jump slightly. I could hear her footsteps as the wooden steps creaked. Quicken steps on the stairs, before she turned to face me. Her white shirt was stained red and her coat was torn. She looked around even though she saw me on the floor. She ran up to me quickly and almost ripped me off the floor. She quickly opened the door, only to slam it shut, or tired to. The door was pushed open and George hid me behind her. I looked over her shoulder and stared. "An eye for an eye, princess." This guy said to us. "You won't touch a hair on her head." George said. "Who said anything about her head?" He asked. My hands went around my stomach at his words. "You have no law here." George said. "All people have law here." He said back.

"You started a war with us, you have no law here. Taking another set would be to trespass. Leave now and nothing will happen." George said. "I bet the last person she said that to died after they turned their back on here." This guy said, staring daggers at me. "It was self defence." I said, loudly. George kept backing up as this guy kept coming farther into my house. "I want to see what your hiding miss President." This guy said as my back hit the wall. "You want to see?" George asked. "Yes." This guy said, his eyes never leaving mine. "I'm sorry." George said and this guy turned to George. "I'm not obligated to disclose this information." George said and this guy came at us.

George quickly kicked him and turned to me. She hurried me up the stairs as this guy got up. There was growling and I turned to see the blood coming from his mouth, like he just ripped someone juggler out. We got up the stairs and I could hear him coming up the stairs. I turned and watched as George kicked him down the stairs. "Mercy." George said as I grabbed her. The guy got up and looked at us. Fixing his neck as he stared at us. "He's still not merced." I said, pulling her as he started to climb the stairs. I pulled us into the nursery. George slammed the door shut before she leaned on it. I dug into changing table drawers and grabbed a small handgun. "Wow, maybe give that to me." George said and I stared. "I'm pregnant, not--" I stopped myself and handed it to her. I backed up and hit the wall as George opened the door. The guy came in and stared at me. There was a loud gunfire, louder than normal. I covered my ears, trying to stop some of it. "Mercy." George said.