35

Leona
December 17th, 2018
8:25 am

••••

"Damn I'm ready to graduate" my friend said.

I glanced over at him and smiled. He gave me a sly little smirk before turning back to the dry erase board that our professor stood in front of.

Alejandro is a junior and I met him my freshman year—which was his sophomore year—in math class. He admitted to me that he failed it first semester and had to retake it second semester. I'm actually pretty good at math so I tutored him whenever he needed help.

He's had a crush on me since then, but I was always stuck on Tae, that is until she started acting out and treating me disrespectfully. I miss her though—like I think about her everyday.

"Hey" Alejandro nudged me. "You paying attention because she's going pretty fast."

To be honest I wasn't, but I always voice record this class because she speeds through the slides without a care in the world. I picked up my pen and wrote stuff here and there. I didn't elaborate too much because knowing myself I'm going to go back and listen to the recording and write my notes all over again.

"Alright class. That's enough for today. I will see you all briefly Wednesday, probably for about thirty minutes to take the very short final exam and then we all will start our winter break."

She smiled and packed up her stuff just as we did too. Alejandro asked me what I'm about to do since this is the only class we have today.

"Umm probably go grab some breakfast, head back to my apartment and take a nap. Then I have to go help a friend of mine with the construction of her new learning center out in the city."

Alejandro smirked again and nodded his head. I already know what's about to come next but I let him ask anyway.

"Can I tag along? I don't wanna go home just yet" he said whispering the last part.

Although he's never been to any place that I've lived before, I trust him and know that he won't try anything funny. I gave him a little head nod and watched as his dark brown eyes lit up in the winter sun. My stomach got this weird feeling—which meant maybe I was actually feeling him all along.

He stared down at me and even though there was this silence, it wasn't awkward. I quickly came back to life and told him to follow me. He mumbled something under his breath and literally followed behind me the entire time.

"Boy if you don't stop being a creep staring at my ass" I said laughing.

He laughed too and sped up so that he's beside me. We made small talk until we got to his car. It's a 1999 blue, Ford Mustang. He worked two jobs for a year so he could save up to buy that car as well as have enough money to fix it up.

I complimented him on how far his car has come. He cheesed super hard and unlocked the doors. Walking over he opened my door for me and closed it once I was all the way in.

"So where we getting breakfast from? Ronnie's Diner?"

Alejandro loves that place. He used to take me there all the time after class last year. I will admit the food is amazing and it's always cooked to perfection.

I let out a little laugh and agreed to Ronnie's. His smile lit up the entire car. That's the thing about Alejandro. He comes from a toxic, and dysfunctional household, but somehow he's always smiling.

I asked if I could plug my phone up to the aux cord and he said yes. He told me not to play a bunch of sappy music because he knows that's my specialty.

When we walked into Ronnie's his daughter; Jamaria flashed us her beautiful smile. She sat a bag on the table and asked Alejandro if he wanted anything else before we left. Glancing over at him I just smiled.

"I might of ordered our usuals ahead of time in hopes that you'd agree to brunch."

Jamaria giggled while I just nodded my head in a well played motion. We made our way back to the car and headed towards my apartment.

•••

"Wow. This is nice as fuck" Alejandro said as he closed the door.

I thanked him and opened the bag of food that he sat down on the counter. Alejandro slapped my hand away and told me to go wash up first. He's absolutely right. The least I can do is wash my hands.

"I'm so hungry I turned into a dirty bitch."

He laughed while he stood at the kitchen sink washing his hands. He pulled out the styrofoam plate and opened it to see which one is his. Once he found his plate of food he pulled out a chair at the small kitchen table and said his grace.

He began eating his food like he hasn't had a meal in days. Sometimes I worry about Alejandro because his living situation isn't the best. His dad will throw him out randomly and unprovoked sometimes. I wanted to ask his if he was sleeping in his car again, but I'd wait and not ruin the moment.

Pulling out the chair opposite of him, I took a seat and opened my plate. It looks and smells amazing. I haven't had Ronnie's in forever so my mouth is water at just the site of this food. I bowed my head and closed my eyes so I can prays over my food.

"Thank you for being such a great friend. I don't know what I'd do without you."

I smiled and stuffed my face with some food.

"No. Thank you for being so understanding always. I know we haven't hung out in a while but all of that is about to change."

We sat and enjoyed our food as well as each other's company. I'm glad to have my friend back, because honestly I don't have too many more people to lean on.

  ••••

Here's a filler chapter..a little look into Leona's life

What y'all think about Alejandro?

As always stay tuned...