43

Kennedy
Monday
January 21st, 2019
6:15 am

••••

It's the first day of school for me and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous or anything

It's the first day of school for me and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous or anything. Jai took me to get my hair re-twisted Saturday so that's on point. It's cold outside so I'm choosing to dress warm and comfortable.

I sat up in the bed and hung my legs over the edge. The cold air hit me like a slap in the face after you talk back to your mama. Shivering I almost wrapped myself back up in the sheets—that's until both Jai and Chana came in my room all smiles.

"It's your first day of school" they cheesed.

I flashed them a smile back, trying to mask my nervousness. Chana stood at the door, while Jai came over and sat beside me on the bed.

"Don't be nervous. This is a good school and the teachers are amazing. I graduated from there and so will you."

Chana giggled and I'm guessing it's due to the facial expression I'm serving. I was about to ask her how she read me so well, but I remembered she's a therapist and knows how to read and feel emotions of all kinds with the smallest interaction.

"It's a little after six. The school is a ten minute drive from here. You need to check in at the front office and get your schedule. Let's all be downstairs by 7:30. School starts at 8:05."

I nodded my head and briefly smiled. Jai patted my back and told me it will be okay. I nodded and stood to my feet, walking into the bathroom. I decided to wash my face first, then brush my teeth. Turning the shower water on I let it get hot first before stepping in.

I turned on some music from my phone and placed it back on the sink counter. I washed my body a few times before getting out. Shivering again from the cold air, I quickly dried off and put lotion on my body. I found some boxers and a sports bra to wear.

"It's 6:45 y'all."

Jai is yelling from downstairs which made me laugh. She really sounds like a mother right now and it's hilarious but also heart warming to see because none of my other foster parents cared enough to even wake me up for school. I was late so much the teachers just started saying start time for me was nine o'clock.

"Six forty five my pus-" Jai cut Chana off and all I heard was laughter.

I'm almost done getting dressed anyway. I finished up what I was doing, grabbed my ugly ass backpack and headed downstairs. When I reached the bottom step I saw Jai in the kitchen putting food on a plate. A smile spread across my face.

"Hey love. I made you some breakfast. We also got you a new backpack with some new supplies" she said pointing towards the door.

My heart is so full right now. I skipped over to the front door and picked up the bag looking at it. Opening it I found notebooks, binders, pencils and pens. Flash cards and sharpies. I was definitely set for the rest of the school year.