47

Jazmine
Saturday, February 2nd, 2019
12:30 pm

••••

Today is our off day from the learning center construction. Jai, Chana, Leona and Kennedy are out with me at the mall. We're not shopping for anything in particular, just browsing and if we see something we'll get it.

"I'm hungry" Kennedy said looking over at Jai.

She has her wrapped around her fingers already. Chana has her spoiled too but not as much as Jai does. We all agreed to get something to eat. Taking the escalator up to the third floor we stepped off and the aroma of different foods hit our nose.

Leona and Kennedy were the first ones to speed walk over to this Vietnamese spot. I've never seen somebody eat Pho as much as Leona and Kennedy do. Jai and Chana were laughing at them as they watched them run off.

"What y'all finna get?" I asked.

They shrugged and looked around. Chana let out a heavy sigh before walking towards the kids. She decided to try Pho and see what all the hype is about. Jai and I settled for some Chinese food. There is no line and I really don't feel like waiting.

"So how's you and the boo?"

I silently starting cursing. A'lira has been distant lately and I'm real close to breaking up with her. If there's one thing I don't settle for in relationships, it's secrets and dishonesty.

"Finna be single as fuck" I said shaking my head.

Jai placed her hand on my arm and asked me what I meant. I shrugged her off and stepped up to the counter to order my food. The girl taking my order kept staring at me in a weird way. I almost asked her what the fuck she's looking at but I disregarded it.

"That'll be 8.55. Are you Jazmine?"

I handed her my card and cocked my head to the side.

"Why?"

She swiped my card and looked back and forth from her coworkers on either side of her. She handed it back and asked if we can talk. She said she goes on break in five minutes. I hesitated, but agreed. I told her to come over to the table I'm sitting at. She nodded and handed me my receipt.

I glanced back at her one more time before walking down to the end of the line to pick up my food. Jai paid and walked down to get her food as well. Chana, Leona and Kennedy are sitting at a table towards the back of the food court.

"What you think she gotta talk to you about?" Jai asked.

I shrugged but had a feeling that it's about A'lira.

We took a seat and opened up our plate. Kennedy and Leona are sitting at the end of the table laughing their little childish asses off. I sat in silence and ate my food, anxiously waiting for this mystery woman to come talk to me.

•••

I'm halfway through eating my food when I felt a soft hand touch my shoulder. I looked back to see the woman standing off to the side of me. Everyone's eyes are on her and I can tell she's feeling a little uncomfortable. I closed my to go plate and stood to my feet.