46

Camden
Tuesday, January 29th, 2019
Poetry Club

••••

Today is Poetry Club day and Mrs. Carlos said she has something special for us. I'd like to see it because last time she said that we went to a poetry slam and it was amazing.

"Hey everybody. We have some new faces joining us. If y'all would stand and introduce yourselves."

Kennedy stood first, then this guy named Zander. We said welcome and gave them warm smiles and the welcome care package; three notebooks, some pens and some how to/help books. They both said thank you and sat back down.

Mrs. Carlos told us to take out a notebook and pen so that we can start with our first prompt. Everyone did so and waited for her instructions. Kennedy looks somewhat nervous, while Zander just looks out of place. Mrs. Carlos is going to have to send both of them to some classes for public speaking; I can see it now.

"Love. That's your prompt. Give me something good and make it interesting."

I picked up my pen and started writing.

It took me about ten minutes to construct the words the way I wanted

It took me about ten minutes to construct the words the way I wanted. Once I was done I sat my pen down and waited for everyone else to finish. Kennedy is still writing, Korey looks more focused than ever and Halo looks unbothered.

"Alright. Pens down. We will now begin to share. Korey go first."

She stood up and walked to the front of the class. Pulling her hood over her head and lowering her head a little, she mouthed something to herself then began.

Love is lost
I don't want it to be found
I'd rather be a cold hearted bitch
Than be vulnerable again
You broke me down
Beat me until I was barely breathing
Then left me for dead
Your actions didn't match the words you said
One minute you proclaimed your love for me
And then the next your fist was crashing against my small five foot three frame
You conditioned me to believe love came with struggle
You manipulated me to believe I couldn't survive on my own
For the longest time I believed that was true
Until all the conditioning and heartache you put me through no longer mattered
It didn't hold any weight
All the fear you instilled in me went away
The words you cursed at me were just empty threats that no longer had me rattled
I traded in the love you supposedly gave me for the love I should've been giving myself all along
Love is lost
And after all I've been through I'm not sure I want it to be found

Everybody in the room snapped. We all are aware of the abusive relationship Korey used to be in. She's the one that helped me out of mine. She saw all the signs and offered me help. She went down to the police station and held my hand while I requested to press charges. Korey really has been that big sister figure that I've needed.