42

Kennedy
Friday
January 18th, 2019
8:30 am

••••

We're on the way to my new foster home

We're on the way to my new foster home. Honestly I'm nervous because none of my other placements have worked out. The only information I've been told is that it's in a different school district than I've been in. Sammy thought it would be a good idea to change my scenery education wise as well.

"We're here" she said tapping me on the shoulder.

I was in awe at the big ass houses. The neighborhood looks nothing like what I'm used to.

"Nigga is they rich? Cause this some rich people shit."

Sammy held her composure and contained her laugh. She gave me that look and I leaned up to apologize to Mr. Aaron that's sitting in the front seat. She disregarded my question and told me to get out, so I did.

We grabbed my school bag and two outfits that Sammy personally bought me. My entire body froze up. I wanted to walk to the front door, but couldn't. I'm scared, nervous, anxious—all of that. Sammy sensed it and gave me all the time I needed.

I finally walked over after about two minutes and she knocked on the door. A few seconds went by before the door swung open. There stood TWO beautiful women. The spit I tried to swallow got stuck and I almost choked, ending my damn life right there. I am in awe. My prayers have been answered. All these years I've been placed in homes where the parent(s) are homophobic as fuck. Now I get to be my authentic self.

"These my foster parents?" I asked pointing.

Sammy moved my hand and told me it's not polite to point. I apologized and they smiled and told me it's okay. Stepping aside they told us to come in. The entire house smells like roses and love.

The house looks bigger on the inside than it does on the outside. I spun around in circles just taking in the view. Sammy sat down on the couch and allowed me time to adjust. I glanced over at her with a smile on my face and both thumbs up. I know I'm childish for that, but the goofiness inside of me thought it was a good idea.

"She's super adorable babe" I heard the brown skin woman say.

We all sat down on the couches and got acquainted. They introduced themselves as Jai and Chana. I can't lie I'm extremely nervous. I've never been in a foster home with black people or people who aren't white. The fact that I'll have somebody to relate to is a relief. Now I won't have to suppress my feelings or emotions out of fear that I'll be labeled the angry black girl.

"Well I'll leave y'all to it. We've already taken the necessary steps so Kennedy you should be good. If you have any issues you have my office and cell phone number."

I nodded my head and waved bye. Sammy said she or Aaron would be by in a week or so to do a wellness check. Jai and Chana thanked them and walked them to the door. Once they were gone they both turned to me and asked if I wanted to see my room. I cheesed super hard and nodded yes.