Chapter Fifty-One: Evicted

"Evicted? Sir, I'm sure there has to be a mistake!" Mum argued with the man at the door, looking at the letter in her hands as it showed that we had to get out of the house today

I instantly knew this was Sam's fault, I was still debating with myself whether to tell her about it.

"What are we going to do?" She questioned as her voice cracked.

We both stood at the door, staring at the letter unknown on what to do. "Here's the plan... pack what you need, and we will go to your uncle. It's a bit of a drive but it's somewhere."

"The uncle I never see?" I asked as she nods, I stare at her as if she was wanting to say more but she soon walks away from me and starts to gather our belongings.

I went to my room, I was a bit pissed off that Sam had to do it this way. Couldn't he have just told mum the damn truth instead of doing this to us? Practically making us homeless until we find another house? It could take months.

I chucked two bags onto my bed and started chucking whatever I could into them, filling them with all sorts of stuff. Precious was out. She had to come with us. I grabbed her cage and made sure she was okay, I grabbed my bags and went to stack them in the car.

"I will be back for you, Precious." I reached down and gave her a treat as she took it and hid away from me.

I picked up my last bag and left my room, I struggled to see myself walking downstairs as I slide down the last two steps.

"Ouch!" I yelled, rubbing my back.

"Are you okay?" I heard mum call out as she ran to see what happened, "I'm fine," I said picking up the bags I had dropped. I continued my walk to the car, but more slow-paced now since I didn't want another accident to happen.

I reached the car and put my bags in the back, and closed the door going back for Precious.

"Lydia!"

I turned around, noticing sam walking towards me. I glared at him and turned to walk back to the house until he grabbed onto my wrist not letting me go.

"What the hell!" I whispered not wanting to cause a scene, "Are you happy now?" I snapped.

"Look, It's for the best. I don't want anything to happen to you or Hannah okay?" He glanced over noticing my mum walking out.

"Lydia, who are you talking to? Oh, Mr Johnston, what a lovely surprise," I heard her say behind me.

"Hannah, for the millionth time please call me Sam," he sighed.

I turned around and rolled my eyes. They continued to talk as I sat on the step listening to them.

"I heard what happened, would you like any help?" He offered. I had to laugh. He was the reason why were like this.

"That would be lovely Sam, thank you."

I ran upstairs to get Precious and a few extra belongings like family pictures and childhood memories. I then found my diary I had chucked on the top shelf.

Struggling to carry the hamster cage, I slowly made my way back downstairs.

"Lydia, you can't bring your hamster." I heard my mum say full of sadness.

"What? Why?" I frowned, no way was I letting her go.

"Lydia, the car ride is long. We don't have the time to look after a hamster, I'm sorry."

"But-"

"No." She warned.

"I could look after her for you, well until you come back or get a new place. I can easily bring her back to you when you are settled," Sam suggested.

"That would be lovely Sam."

"Fine," I said. My feet trembled over to Sam, I didn't want to give Precious to him. I slowly put my arms up giving the cage to him, instantly regretting the decision.

"I will take great care of her," he promises.

Sam soon waved us off as we reversed out of the drive. My mum gives a small wave and we started our new journey.

As we were leaving the town, I noticed the welcome to Dungrove sign come and go, I kind of felt relieved leaving but something inside of me was telling me to go back.

We were now driving through the dark woods, the morning fog was bad as it covered the road. It was almost impossible to see where we were going as mum took a sharp right, the car skidded along the road.

We didn't know what was happening, everything was happening so fast that I felt myself tumble upside down. The windshield smashed all over us as we were left in pain.

I slowly tried to turn my neck to look at my mum as I was met with her unconscious body.

"Mum" I choked, I felt my eyes grow heavy as I fought to keep them open.

"Mum-" I tried to say again, but it came out barely an inaudible whisper. I was about to close my eyes until I noticed two silhouettes standing near the car.