We Got Our Second Chance

And I am feeling so small
It was over my head
I know nothing at allAnd I will stumble and fall
I'm still learning to love
Just starting to crawl
- Say Something (I'm Giving Up On You), A Great Big World

And I am feeling so smallIt was over my headI know nothing at allAnd I will stumble and fallI'm still learning to loveJust starting to crawl- Say Something (I'm Giving Up On You), A Great Big World

No. No, no, no, no, no. I do not want to see Steve or Nat here. I don't want them anywhere near Morgan or Tony and try to help them with whatever they need help with. I've been dodging their calls, send them angry voicemails to leave me alone. They finally stopped after a while just because they needed some help. And they brought Scott. Really? At least bring Starfire not fanboy, Scott Lang.

Tony was pouring the trio water while I stood behind him with my arms crossed. They had some stupid idea about time traveling, to shorten things up. But they don't really know how to make the machine without Tony, which is why they're visiting today.

"No, To -" Scott started with stammers. He let out a deep breath before continuing. "We know what it sounds like.

At least Tony was shaking his head at them.

"Tony, after everything you've seen, is anything really impossible?" Cap asked.

"Quantum fluctuation messes with the Planck scale...which then triggers the Deutsch Proposition," Tony explained. "Can we agree on that?"

I looked at Scott, who looked confused about the whole thing. "In other words, you're not coming home," I deadpanned.

"I did," he argued.

"No, you survived out of sheer luck. It's a billion-to-one cosmic fluke. And now," I pointed at the trio, "the three of you just waltz right into our home and think Tony's going to help you with some stupid time machine?!"

I think my eyes turned red when Scott backed away from me. I felt myself calm down when Tony pulled me back. "Easy, Rae," he said. "Your demonic side is showing again when it doesn't need to. You know why? Because what their talking about is laughable. Because it's a pipe dream."

"The stones are in the past. We could go back, we could get them," Steve tried to reason.

"We can snap our own fingers. We can bring everybody back," Natasha added.

I gave a sarcastic laugh. "One of us snapping our fingers? What makes you think we're not going to screw things up again? Or even make things worse?"

"I don't believe we would," Steve tried to put hope in me. Well, guess what? All that hope has left me five years ago.

I tilted my head and looked at him. "Well, excuse me if we're not optimistic like you. I'm just going on from what I've seen. You remember how that riped eggplant said that the stones nearly killed him. What makes you think that the stones won't kill the person snapping their fingers?"

"Is it weird that I'm enjoying this?" Scott whispered to Steve. "I know she's being mean but -"

"She's being a realist," Tony defended me as he sat down. "Because in this situation, high hopes won't help...if there's no logical, tangible way for us to safely execute said time heist." Us?  "We believe the most likely outcome will be our collective demise."