56 Soldiers and Heroes

Neutral Dimension
0620 AM
Arcadia - Soldier's Field
Christmas

I walked towards the pilot who then looked over his shoulder at me, he looked me down. He then chuckle and turned around with a Colt 1911 A1 and pointed it at me. He looked exactly like RHB but in his thirties.

Lt. Barnerd: what do you want... you goddamn Nazi spy!
Me (Jason): I'm not a nazi...
Lt. Barnerd: who won the world series in 1938?
Me (Jason): The New York Yankees.
Lt. Barnerd: why did Ulysses S. Grant take his soldiers through Nashville?
Me (Jason): He didn't, he followed the Tennessee.
Lt. Barnerd: How do ya vote?
Me (Jason): mostly conservative...
Lt. Barnerd: only an American would give an answer like that...

He pointed his 1911 in the air and let the hammer down before holstering it. He then picked up his pipe and lit it.

Lt. Barnerd: forgive my slight paranoia, those goddamn crouts keep stealing my good snap-on sockets for their beater stukas.
Me (Jason): Can you fly me back to the Inter-dimensional?
Lt. Barnerd: why wouldn't you get one of those goddamn fly boys in the jets.
Me (Jason): you seem more reliable.
Lt. Barnerd: ain't that the truth.
Me (Jason): you seem angry.
Lt. Barnerd: Oh I am, seeing those fucking gooks across the pisses me off.
Me (Jason): why?
Lt. Barnard: Sons-a-bitches shot me down in '45. But not before I took down 7 of them.
Me (Jason): you have a lot of patches on your jacket, why?
Lt. Barnard: I'll tell you why, I used to be a bomber pilot that let 20 successful missions. Germans fire balled my plane and killed 4 of my men. I became a fighter pilot, downed 14 stukas and 3 ME-262s, then they shot down my Mustang. I got third degree burns on my left arm and a severly broken left leg, they opted to give me a purple heart and a Medical Discharge. I left Europe and signed up with the Aces takin' on them mangey Japs, and as soon as my leg mended went back to kickin' foreign ass. I shot down 20 of those bastards on the first run, second run 7 and done. I hit the ground hard but lived it, I hopped out of my plane and had about five of those bastards charge me. I killed four of 'em before the fifth stuck me in the chest with his bayonet, I twisted his neck... then I fell down... Then I woke up here, and have been here since.

He wiped the blood from under his nose and went back to working on the engine.

Me (Jason): sorry to hear that...
Lt. Barnard: think nothin' of it. I fought... I died... I won...
Me (Jason): can you get me back?
Lt. Barnard: yeah, let me get this damn fuel line back to working and we can get going.

Just then a Templar walked into the the hangar with his sword drawn.

Templar: Sir Garand, his majesty requires your attention!
Lt. Barnard: He's gotta be somewhere you senile ol' bastard!
Templar: I willn't take your tounge, you heathen.
Lt. Barnard: or what... You'll stick me with your out dated metal rod?
Me (Jason): I'll go with him...
Lt. Barnard: I'll have the plane warmed up for ya, meet me a the start of the strip.

The Templar then led me to a Jeep where, I got into the back. The driver looked like a member of the WW1 French Resistance, his rifle was a sporterized Martini Henry and was sticking out of the Thompson pouch on the side. The man looked back at me, he resembled Mad Jack, exept he had a beard and glasses.

Frenchman: ehh, where would you like to go?
Templar: *takes off helmet* To his Majesty, fine sir.

The Jeep then accelerated forward, the templar had a white beard but resemble Skull a little. It was odd that alot of these people resembled my friends or people I knew. Constants and variables I guess. The Jeep then stopped at a set off ruined buildings, there were World War 2 era soldiers walking around. The French Resistance fighter pulled his rifle out of the pouch and got out of the Jeep.

Frenchman: Come on, follow me. He then led me to a skyline that led to a large building. We got onto a large Tram with machine gun nests on the front and back, it then ascended towards the large building. The Tram then stopped and we got onto a platform, there were machine gunners on the ends of the platforms, the 20mm Flak-cannons and 240mm howitzers. I looked ontop of the building and seen a Gustav Cannon with a rotating platform and recoil rails. Below the massive gun was a large sign that said Hall of Heroes. There were four large statues of Doughboy Soldiers from WW1 standing in a circle, rubble from combat lay around and tarps lay over crates full of weapons and ammo. Massive flags of an unknown origin flew over the hall, the building itself looked like it was something from Thomas Jefferson's wet dreams. It had greek like architecture but was very Victorian if not Edwardian, yet offered bunker like walls on the bottom floors. There were pill boxs and trench lines cut into the stone walkways, soldiers of every type lined them, and every soldier stared at me. I then entered the building with the frenchman. There was a desk with a rundown Mechanical Geroge Washington in the first room, as we entered the next we were greeted with dilapidated statues that were lined with desks and people pecking away at typewriters. A door on the right side was pushed open and there was makeshift bedding inside. After walking down the rows of desks we entered a round room, it at one point offered more, but the right and left sides were blocked off with metal gates and offered 'the boxer rebellion' and the 'battle of wounded knee' both of these battles were massacres. The map in the middle had sections with red X's through them and the floors had dried blood on them, this place had a history... I just don't know what it was.