Ch. XIV

Truth Lies Within

Song: We Are Young by F.U.N ft. Janelle Monáe

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You're talking about the argument that night where I called you out," Jaxon said remembering the words he told Chloe that night.

Chloe nodded, "You called me 'the saddest bitch you ever met' after you thought I had sex with Ryan Taylor in the woods."

Jaxon sat in silence as he remembered just how that night played out years ago. He remembered the night of the bonfire where he had just come home for the weekend from football camp and wanted to hang out with his friends. The wild factor of the situation was that Jaxon never knew Chloe was invited by his rival, Ryan Taylor.

(Flashback)

The midnight sky was decorated with gleaming stars and gloomy clouds as the noise of various voices filled the woods

The midnight sky was decorated with gleaming stars and gloomy clouds as the noise of various voices filled the woods. A bonfire was set blazing the field as a group of people was circled, sitting on logs drinking, roasting smores, dancing and/or singing along to songs.

"Tonight, we are young, so let's set the world on fire, we can burn brighter than the sun!" Chloe sang along with the crowd as she danced her sips side to side.

Jaxon looked up with a smile on his face and a gleam in his eyes as he watched his best friend enjoy her time tonight. He was happy that he came home for the weekend to spend time with his friend and knowing the two loved bonfires, name anything better than that.

"So let's set the world on fire!" Chloe shouted as she sat next to Jaxon. "I just love that song so much." She giggled before sipping her cup of water. "As much as I want to drink tonight, I don't need my grandparents getting on my ass."

"You! Your grandparents would kill me." Jaxon laughed as Chloe shrugged. "Oh, you would just let me die anyway."

Chloe pressed her lips together as she shook her head but failed miserably hiding her laughter. Jaxon shook his head looking towards the burning collection of wood as he sipped his sixth beer and throwing back a shot of vodka behind it.

"Jaxon!"

Jaxon looked over his shoulder as a couple of friends walked over with a few holding flashlights.

"We're going trailing in the woods. Join us?" Heather was the first to speak as she waved her flashlight.

Chloe caught the gesture realizing Heather only invited Jaxon and not her but she didn't care.

"Yeah, sure. I don't mind." Jaxon stood to his feet as he took Chloe's hand helping her up. "I need one of those flashlights."

Heather glared towards the two friends as she looked over towards Ryan, "Chloe, can go with Ryan?"