Ch. XXXV

Side Effects

Song: The Night We Met by Lord Huron

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Three Days Prior

"You have a son,"

Jaxon nods before gazing down at his closed fists, "Not only that but...Heather's pregnant,"

She was hurting...internally...

If you could hear the ear-splitting cracking then you realized it was coming from Chloe's heartbreaking. Her eyes blinked multiple times feeling her eyes flood with those same tears she tried to hold back. The truck was filled with silence but Chloe struggled to get a word out just by the sudden news.

Was she having a dream or was Jaxon being for at this moment?

"H...Heather's p-pregnant?" Chloe asked just to hear Jaxon say it once again. "Are you serious?"

He nods reassuring her, "Yeah, she's pregnant." His tone held disdain remembering Heather dropping the news to him.

"How far along is she?" Chloe asked, her tone quiet and soft.

Jaxon sighs heavily, "About fifteen weeks,"

She looks around in utter disbelief, "Fuck," She wipes a tear away. "This was before I even came back,"

"Yea," Jaxon mumbles before reaching for another cigarette but Chloe was quick to take it from him including the package. "Chloe,"

"No, no more of that shit," She places the half-empty pack on the side compartment of the passenger seat. "We're talking,"

Jaxon didn't argue but listened to Chloe's sniffles and watched the tears fall, "Chloe, I know what you must be thinking right now and whatever it is. I don't blame you,"

Chloe blinks slowly, a warm tear trickling down her cheek, "I'm just trying to process what the fuck I just read and what you just told me,"

"We can sit here all day." Jaxon runs his fingers through his hair watching her cautiously. "Just speak your mind,"

"My mind is jumbled up right now," Chloe emphasizes strongly. "Jaxon, you're a dad to a son and you have another baby on the way with Heather,"

"I know. I'm just trying to figure out everything at this point," A headache was forming from the constant thinking of his newfound responsibilities.

Chloe glanced towards the open envelope, "So, where's your son?" It wasn't Chloe's business to ask but she wanted to know.

"He was just here in Fairsborro," Jaxon answers while fidgeting with his rings. "He's three,"

Chloe nods, "A three-year-old son,"

"...and his name is Aubrey."

"That's nice," Her face constricts in pain wiping away another tear. "I'm not crying over his name or his existence. It's just sudden news I'm knowing about,"

Jaxon watched in agony knowing that Chloe was lying and was hurting in front of him. No, he didn't know he had a son but he wanted to let her know right away of his absence.

He itched to embrace Chloe but didn't want to risk that she may strike, yell, or even curse his name. A part of Jaxon realized that Chloe didn't have to put up with him but he didn't want to let her go.