Chapter 13 - I'm The Ghost Of My Mistakes

Previously:
- Newt got out of the Med-Jack's Hut and went back to his own hut
- (G/N) wanted to be a Runner
- Minho gave her the deal that if she takes care of Newt for the time being, he'll guarantee her a spot to be a Runner
- Thinking there's no other choice, (G/N) accepts the deal

Chapter 13 - I'm The Ghost Of My Mistakes

Newt found it uncomfortable to have (G/N) wait on his beck and call. She would bring Newt's food to him when he needs it. She would also come to Newt's Hut to help him with hit foot. Clint and Jeff said that he should rest his leg and that he shouldn't try to stand yet. So he just lied there while (G/N) took care of him.

Every day she'd come with his breakfast, lunch, and dinner. She'd then come carry a bucket of cold water and a kettle of hot water. She'd then place hot water on the towel and place it on his leg. Then when the heat fades, she'll place cold water on it. Even if she's been doing this for about four days now, neither one of them talked. Friendly small talk doesn't count.

After the usual conversation of "Hello," "How are you?" "Here's your food," and "Thank you," they were silent. Newt would either lie down or sleep and leave (G/N) to her work. She was his friend, he knows that but he still couldn't shake off what she said a few days ago.

He couldn't believe that she admired him. If he only knew why he got that injury on his leg. Why instead of being out on the Glade and just doing her regular jobs, she had the extra job of taking care of him. He felt guilty. He felt like a burden.

Everyday he sees (G/N), he'd feel guilty.

Even though he left the Med-Jack's Hut, he still feels like he never left. There, he just lied down on the cot and would sleep the day away. He'd have his daily meals and go back to sleep. Just like what he'd do here.

Although, he liked the peace and quiet he had here in his Hut despite (G/N) coming in frequently. Clint and Jeff would come bustling in and out the Med-Jack's Hut and ruin his sleep.

Well there was one other thing he liked about being in the Hut. No one could see him like this. In the Med-Jack's Hut, Gladers would come and get treated. They would get a good view of Newt and his leg. He didn't like the looks they'd give him. The looks of sympathy and pity.

He didn't deserve their pity.

He was a boy who was about to give up in life and leave them alone. So much for being the one who kept the peace. So much for being the one who gives them hope.

He felt vulnerable at the Med-Jack's Hut. Vulnerable and naked. At least here in his Hut, only (G/N) could see him. Minho and Alby would visit once in a while and so will Clint and Jeff to see how he's doing and if (G/N) is doing her job right. But other than them, there was no one else.

Newt looked at his bandaged foot. He tried to move it or wiggle his toes but pain shot through his entire body when he did. He winced in pain and clutched the sheets of his bed. Just in time, (G/N) got inside carrying his next meal.

She would usually knock but Newt just told her to come inside since he said he spent most of his days sleeping and wouldn't always be awake to let her in. She seemed uncomfortable with the idea but she didn't complain.

"Here's your dinner Newt." He didn't even notice that it was night.

(G/N) took the bed table that was made for him by the Builders and placed the food there. Newt sat up from his bed and (G/N) helped him up. She winced when she held him.

"Newt you're hot," she said.

"Ummm thank you?"

"No," she let out a short laugh, "I mean you're hot. I think you have a fever."