Chapter 18 - Fate Will Play Us Out With A Song Of Pure Romance

Previously:
- Newt and (G/N) have been getting really close
- (G/N) is getting too attached to Newt

Chapter 18 - Fate Will Play Us Out With A Song Of Pure Romance

"Hey Newt?"

"Yeah Leo?"

"I want to ask you something."

Newt tried not to sound exhausted. Leo was a curious and talkative boy and he's been keeping Newt on his toes ever since he got in the Glade.

"What is it?"

"It's about (G/N)."

Newt stopped walking. Both he and Leo just came from washing their hands in the lake before they were headed off to dinner.

"What about?" He asked but he wasn't facing him.

"Well, do you um, like her?"

"Of course I like her. What's not to like?"

"No, I mean like her romantically." This time, Newt faced him.

Of the three months that (G/N) was in the Glade, he never thought about her liking someone or someone liking her. The idea was actually alien to him and he hasn't thought about infatuation or romantic love for two years. He never really had the chance to think about someone like that. It wasn't that he only had boys for company for two years, but there was that small problem of them being trapped inside a huge Maze that's filled with monsters that would kill them on sight.

"Why would you ask that? Do you like her?"

"No no!" He denied. "I just wanted to know. It's just that you talk about her a lot and I see that you're always looking out in the Maze, like you're waiting for her."

"Well, she's a very good friend. She helped me when I was recovering from my accident. I owe her a lot," he explained. "Also, I look out into the Maze because I miss running out there."

"Oh," Leo tried not to look embarrassed with the assumptions he made. "Sorry."

"It's alright," he shrugged. "Come on. Let's have dinner, I'm starving."

As the two of them walked, Newt saw (G/N) talking to Minho. As far as he knows, he doesn't like her any more than he likes Minho or Alby. She's just a friend.

But he never knew that he always talked about her and that he stares out into the Maze. He knew that he doesn't miss running out that and just made an excuse. But maybe he does.

Newt shook off these thoughts. His night was just fine until Leo asked him that question that made him confused.

She's just a friend.

He caught (G/N)'s eye and waved at her. Then she waved back.

Besides, he thought, what's the difference between friendship and romance?

In both relationships, the two people support and care for one another. They look out for each other. The only difference is that in romance, there are some physical stuff but they don't define love. They define lust but not love.

Newt shook his head. He didn't want to think about this. He could just stop but he found it hard to do so.

"Leo, what's your definition of romance?" He asked him.

"It's when you really care for a person. You're willing to do anything for them."

But I do that with my friends, Newt thought. He still doesn't understand.