Chapter 21 - All We Are Is Bullets

Previously:
- (G/N) was being chased by Grievers for the past week
- Chancellor Ava Paige was desperate for (G/N) to remember that she tried to get her stung
- Thomas and Teresa (Elite Candidates) suggested to Chancellor Paige to surround (G/N) with Grievers and not send them one at a time
- When the day was coming to an end, the other Runners were coming back into the Glade except for (G/N)

Chapter 21 - All We Are Is Bullets

Newt was pacing at the entrance of the South Doors. That was where (G/N) entered earlier and that was where she should come back. As he paced, Newt was also biting his nails. A nasty habit that he couldn't bring himself to stop. (G/N) also told him to stop it. He used to stop it but he couldn't help himself now.

It was starting to get dark. That was when Newt snapped.

"Minho," he turned to the Asian boy who was sitting on the grass, watching the doors. He was also expectantly waiting for (G/N). "I can't do this. I need to go out and look for her."

"No," he stood up and tried to look authoritative. "Newt you can't. You know you can't." Minho tried to say it gently but there was no gentle way to say this.

It's basically saying that you can't do anything because you're an invalid.

"You stay here. I'll go out there."

"But-" Minho wouldn't hear it. Without saying another word, he disappeared into the Maze leaving Newt behind.

Newt was in a panic but he didn't show it. (G/N) is close to being lost to him. As much as he wanted (G/N) to come back, the thought that Minho might be lost as well scared him more.

Newt couldn't think he could handle this. His knees buckled and he fell to the grass. He felt so helpless. He couldn't do anything to help his friends.

He looked at his leg. It was healed now and he could walk well, but he has a limp. He tried to run and can do it for just a few minutes until his leg hurt again.

Once again, he hated his leg. He blamed himself. If he didn't jump and injure himself then (G/N) probably wouldn't have to take his place as a Runner. If he didn't jump then he could go out and help with the search.

Every problem seemed to be rooted on the day that he jumped. The day that he wanted to end his life. But all he ended was his running career.

"Newt!"

Newt raised his head. Hoping that Minho and (G/N) were coming back, but they weren't. His name was called once again and he saw Gally. Gally has been coming back and forth from the Maze doors to the other Builders. He probably couldn't keep still and needed to work to pass the time.

"Any news?"

"No. Minho left to look for her."

"Hey," Gally sensed his distress. "Hey Newt hang in there. You said that Minho was coming to get her. Don't worry."

"This is definitely a good time to worry!" He snapped. "Two of the most important people in my life are out there! They're out there risking their life every day! While I'm just in here, doing nothing. Waiting for them to come back." Tears were streaming from Newt's face. He never cried in front of everyone. He especially never thought that he'd cry in front of Gally.

There was a moment of silence. Gally was staring at Newt crying on the ground. He didn't really know what to do. It was a shock because the boy who kept everyone and himself together, broke down. He was breaking into pieces right in front of him.

Gally crouched down and awkwardly patted Newt on the back.

"I just want them back," Newt cried. "Please bring them back."

-

(G/N) opened her eyes and saw the sky was a bit darker than it was earlier. She tried to move but her body ached and her head was pounding. She had a vague memory of the Grievers from earlier. She tried to run away from them but one of them smacked her and she hit the wall and blacked out.

Now here she was. She felt something sticky on her back. She moved her head and saw a dark substance pooling around her. Her blood.

Once again, she tried to stand but she couldn't. Her body wasn't reciprocating.

She watched as the sky grew darker and darker and she got scared. She thinks that she'll get trapped in the Maze. But her thoughts where wrong when she heard footsteps coming at her.

She couldn't turn her head so she moved her eyes to see what or who was coming. A figure came rushing at her. He bent down right beside her. It was Minho.

"Oh no. No no no no." He leaned forward to see if she's breathing. He checked her pulse.

(G/N) wanted to tell him that she's alive but she couldn't bring her mouth to move either. It was infuriating. It was like being in a glass door. You can see everything but you can't do anything about it.

(G/N) saw Minho breathe a sigh of relief. He must've concluded that she was still alive.

"Come on (G/N)," he took her limp body in his arms, "don't worry, I'll take you home."

-

W.I.C.K.E.D. Headquarters

Ava Paige was just in her office, reveling at the victory she just received. (G/N) was stung and soon, the books and well as her will be gone. She admits to herself that bringing (G/N) back was a mistake. Well it shouldn't have been if it weren't for those books.

Either way, (G/N) was immune to the Flare. She could be of some use in finding the cure. What if inter dimensional travel could somehow be the cure? Or part of it?

Ava was itching to be able to hold the books. To see what becomes of her. What becomes of the world. If their mission was successful.

But doing so was suicide, she knew that.

"Chancellor Paige," Dr. Janson called her at her front door.

"What is it?"

"We might have a problem." He walked closer to her desk. "It's about (G/N)."

"What about?" She tried to hide her irritation. Problems sprung up so quickly ever since she brought (G/N) back.

"Once the serum has sprung effect in her, she won't just remember her life in the Realm of Stories. She'll also remember what happened before her brother's disappearance."

Ava leaned back on her seat. "So? No one would believe her. No one in the Maze or even in the Realm of Stories. I don't see a problem with this."

"Whatever you say."

"Is that all Dr. Janson?"

"Yes."

Read

Love

Comment

Vote

Share

Follow

❤️ Once_Upon_A_Glade