Part III: Chapter 28 - The Poisoned Youth

Previously:
- In order to watch over (G/N), she was given the job to create a 3D map of the Maze
- Only when she finishes it, can she go back into the Maze and be a Runner again
- Newt was given the assignment to watch over (G/N)
- Gally was also stung but it was kept a secret between him, Minho, Clint, and Jeff

Part III: Chapter 28 - The Poisoned Youth

It wasn't a pretty sight when they told (G/N) about the plan that Alby had created for her. She didn't think it was fair for them to discuss about her behind her back and frankly Newt agreed. They told her that she needed to stay because someone like her who has been stung and came out sane was new for them. They wanted to know if that will last.

Although, they didn't tell her everything that they discussed. They didn't tell her that Newt was going to watch and assess her. Alby wanted to but Newt was able to convince him not to because he thought that maybe (G/N) would act weird around him.

So when (G/N) finally accepted the fate that was decided for her, she set off to work.

Newt tried his best to see how she's doing with the map and also her mental being. He was able to overcome his queasiness when he's with her. But they don't spend a lot of time together anymore which is bad because Newt's job is to watch over her.

Since Newt's job was just a secret, he couldn't exactly excuse himself from the Track-Hoes because he wanted to see (G/N). So when he had his breaks, he'd go out to see her. He was always met with the same sight, (G/N) working as hard as she could.

There was now a table in the middle of that hut where the map would be placed. Then on the floors, papers were scattered around it. Papers that (G/N) was always reading and looking at that she would never notice Newt watching her from the window.

Many times Newt tried to offer himself to help her but she always refused. She said that she wanted to do this alone and that she didn't want to bother him. Still, he tried to tell her that he won't be a bother to her but she insisted that she'll do it alone. That confused Newt because when the other Runners would offer to help her, she'd accept. Newt didn't know what to think of that.

It felt weird though. Because Newt felt like for the past three weeks, (G/N) was avoiding him. Sure she'd smile and wave at him when she'd notice him. She'd reply to him when he asks her something but it was different. They were different than before.

When they'd talk, the replies she'd give him were always short and curt. When he'd ask if he could spend the night in her hut just like old times, she say that she was tired or that she was busy. Also as it was mentioned earlier, when he'd offer to help her, she'd refuse but accept the help of others.

Newt didn't know what was going on. But he knew two things. The first was that he was doing a terrible job of observing her. They picked him because he was her best friend. Now they don't even talk as much. The second was that the thought that maybe (G/N) is avoiding him, broke his heart.

Sometimes his mind would wonder why she would do such a thing. Did he do or say something wrong? Did she know that he was assigned to watch over her? Was she mad at him for being part of that bloody meeting? Or did she know that before she woke up, Newt felt sick when he'd see her? Somehow, the last one was the one Newt was scared of the most.

He wondered if he should talk to her about this. About how he felt but just one smile or greeting from (G/N) makes him doubt about everything he's thinking off. Because maybe (G/N) doesn't even realize that she's avoiding him. Maybe she's truly just so busy and didn't really want to bother him.