Chapter Twenty-Eight

I'm so sorry this took so long to post. But I finally decided where I wanna pick it up and how I want to continue. There will be a time skip in the next chapter which I am finishing up as we speak. Until then, please enjoy chapter 28. :)

Being able to see Kellin again after so long was incredible, but saying goodbye to him again was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do in my life. It was almost two o’clock in the morning when we decided that it was time to head back home. Everyone was exhausted. In fact, the only people still up were me, Kellin, Kris, Ember, Austin and Jaime. Everyone else had gone back to the buses and crashed.

Kellin and I were standing apart from everyone else in the cool night air beside their bus as we said our goodbyes. Our arms were wrapped around each other; our foreheads touching; our eyes shut. My heart was pounding painfully in my chest and I felt as if I were about to cry. We’d been standing like this for a good minute. Neither of us has said anything.

Kellin takes a deep breath, exhales heavily, and breaks the silence between us. “I wish you weren’t in school,” he says unexpectedy. I open my eyes and look up at him. “Then I could just take you on tour with me, and I wouldn’t have to leave you here.” I stay silent. “God, I hate this so much.”

I tighten my arms around his frame, tears pricking my eyes. “Me too,” I tell him. Kellin pulls me right against his chest and holds me firmly. The words were on the tip of my tongue. I wanted nothing more than to tell him how I felt about him, but I couldn’t. There was no way that I would be the first one to say something so meaningful or powerful. I think a big part of me is still convinced that this isn’t real. “Take me with you,” I say instead.

Kellin pulls back from me and looks at my face inquisitively. “What?”

“Take me on tour with you. I’ll get my GED or something. I’ll help out in any way I can.” He’s still looking at me like I’ve lost my mind and it hits me that he was probably joking. “Unless, you don’t really want me to.”

“No, no it’s not that. Believe me, I want you to come with me more than anything in the world,” he hurries to explain. “But you need to finish school. I won’t let you throw away your high school experience just for me.”

I sigh heavily and lay my head back on his chest. “If this is a high school experience, I don’t want it,” I mumble.

“What do you mean? What’s wrong, love?” Kellin asks.

I sigh again. He wasn’t supposed to hear that. Reluctantly, I answer, “There’s this girl at school. She’s always saying mean things and shoving me into lockers.” I look down at the ground before continuing. “She tells me to finish the job I started on my wrists,” I admit.

Kellin pulls away from me fully, leaving my arms exposed to the cold air. “What?!” He exclaims. “Why haven’t you told me this before?” I shrug my shoulders. “Taylor, don’t you dare listen to a word that girl says. She doesn’t know anything about you. She has no right to say that to you or anyone else, do you understand me?” I nod. Kellin tilts my head up with his fingers, forcing me to look into his eyes which are glowing from the moonlight. “You are the most beautiful girl I have ever met in my entire life. You are so strong, and independent, and caring, and sweet, and innocent.” None of those things are true and you know it, a voice says. I fight the urge to look around and focus on Kellin’s eyes. “You are an amazing girl and I am so lucky to have you in my life.”

A smile graces my lips, my eyes filling with tears once again, but for a completely different reason. Kellin opens his mouth to say something, but changes his mind and closes it again. My heart skips a beat, or two, or ten. “Taylor,” Kellin starts again. My heart swells expectantly when another voice breaks in.

“Can you guys hurry it up, please?” Ember calls out to us.

“Yeah, I hate to break up this little moment y’all are having, but it’s getting cold out here and some of us still have to drive home,” Kris adds. We look over to their group and suddenly notice that Austin has left. Now only Ember, Kris and Jaime remain and I notice how Jaime is standing significantly closer to Kris than he is to Ember.

My heart deflates like a popped balloon. I look back at Kellin who has a sad look in his eyes. “I’ll call you tomorrow, okay?” I nod my head. Kellin pulls me into his arms. I breathe in his scent and store it my memory for later. I memorize the feeling of his arms around my body, and the sound of his heart beating slightly faster than normal in my ears. Kellin pulls away too soon and looks down at me with a look in his eyes that I can’t decipher. He cups my cheek gently before kissing my lips. Softly at first, but he quickly pulls me tighter to deepen the kiss. He pries my lips open with his and I swear my heart is about to explode in my chest.

It feels like a couple of seconds, but the kiss must’ve lasted a lot longer. My head is still spinning and in a fog when we pull away. Our foreheads are touching as we both struggle to catch our breath. It’s the perfect moment, but nothing is said by either of us. “I’m going to miss you so much,” I tell him.

“I’m going to miss you too, princess. But I’ll be back soon, I promise.”

I nod for the millionth time tonight. He kisses my forehead softly, grasping my hand in his to lead me to the car where Kris and Ember are waiting. I hug Jaime tightly and say goodbye and Kellin does the same for Ember and Kris.

Kellin and Jaime wish us a safe trip and we climb into the car. Within two minutes, Kris is driving away from the venue and they’ve disappeared into the darkness. I watch out the window as music plays softly from the radio. Nobody has spoken and Ember quickly fell asleep in the back seat.

As I look up at the moon and imagine the stars in the sky, I start to think about what lies ahead. I start to wonder if this relationship that Kellin and I have built is even going to last. I hate that he’s spending so much money visiting me between tours when he should be using that money to visit his family. I wonder if Kellin will find someone else while he’s touring. Someone more age appropriate and beautiful and sophisticated, someone likes Katelynne.

I wonder if Kellin still has feelings for her.

I don’t even realize that the tears have started to fall until Kris reaches over to grab my hand and pulls me out of my daze. I look over at her and she looks worried.

“Are you okay?” She asks.

I don’t bother lying and shake my head.

“What’s wrong, sweetie?” She asks quietly as to not wake Ember. I wanted to keep this conversation between the two of us. I loved Ember, but she didn’t know me the way Kris does. I don’t know if she’d be able to be understanding.

“I just keep thinking that he’s going to find someone better, someone like Katelynne,” I say. “Then I start wondering, if he still has feelings for her.”

“Oh, sweetie, don’t torture yourself like this. You and Kellin are going to be just fine. You know why?” She asks. “Do you know how I know?” She doesn’t wait for me to respond, before saying, “Because you two are absolutely crazy for one another. There’s no doubt in my mind that he’s in love with you, Taylor. It’s in the way he looks at you, the way he talks about you. Vic told me tonight that he’s known Kellin for years, and he’s never seen him like this before. Not even when he was with Katelynne. Stop worrying yourself to bits about this, please.”

“If he loves me so much, and it’s so completely obvious, why hasn’t he just told me?” I ask, wiping the tears from my eyes.

“Why do boys do anything?” Kris counters with a small chuckle. “He’ll say it when he’s ready; when the time is right. You just have to be patient, dear. Things will work out the way they’re supposed to.”

She squeezes my hand. I squeeze it back and we fall back into comfortable silence for the rest of the drive home.