Chapter Thirty-Three

Very very short cahpter, and I truly apologize but I wanted to get a new chapter out because it's been so long and I have a lot going on right now and a lot of things I need to deal with and school and I just feel I'll be very stressed the next few weeks or so, and I'm not sure how much I'll be able to write. But I think this chapter is very inspiring and I'm dedicating it to a very special friend of mine. I know I haven't been much a friend, but I hope you know that I care for you, and I have faith in you. Stay strong, girl<3

The first thing I did the next morning was catch a bus to Kris’s house. I banged on her door for a good five minutes before she pulled the door open. Her red hair was frizzy and sticking up in places. She rubbed her eyes with her fist and I suddenly felt horrible for waking her. I hadn’t even checked the time when I awoke. Judging by the sunlight, though, it couldn’t be past nine o’clock.

“I’m sorry for waking you. I needed to talk to you,” I explained. She looked at me briefly with her brown eyes before stepping back to let me through the door. I hurried into the kitchen in search of something to eat. Kris trudged behind me and sat at the bar stool.

“You couldn’t have called at a more reasonable hour?” She asked, resting her head in her hands, her elbows on the counter.

“Because it couldn’t wait, and I don’t want to talk about it over the phone.” I stood on the other side of the counter. She stared at me with furrowed brows and concern in her eyes as I nervously chewed on my bottom lip.

“I’d ask if something happened with Kellin, but if it was that you’d be more excited. What happened, Taylor?”

I looked down at the marble countertop and took a deep breath before sighing, “It’s getting worse. It’s more serious.”

“What do you mean?” Kris asks in a quiet voice.

“I almost got hit by a bus last night,” I whispered into the silent kitchen. Kris gasped and ran over to me, wrapping her arm around my shoulders.

            “How? What happened?” She repeated.

            I went on to tell her the events of the previous night. I told her about Preston, about what Emily had said at dinner, then going outside for air and Preston following me. I told her about the cigarette and every detail that followed. By the end, I was in tears at the memories. My hallucinations had never scared me as much as they did last night.

“I think it’s time I went to a doctor,” I announced as I wiped my tears. I looked up at my best friend. “Will you help me?”

“Yes, of course,” she told me without hesitation. Then she took my hand and led me to her bedroom where she pulled out her laptop. For most of the day, we searched online for the best psychiatrist in the city. As much as I wanted the help, I was worried about how much it would cost. I just didn’t have the kind of money for this. Kris shot down my worries and said that they would help her. By ‘they’, she meant her mom and dad.

Charlotte had known me almost my whole life, but she knew very little of these things until she had seen in first hand in the airport. Since then, she’s been hovering over me more so than before and insisting I see a specialist.

Until now, I’ve always refused.

But not, after last night and hearing the concern in Kellin’s voice, hearing his tears through the speaker of my cell phone when I told him that I almost died, it shattered my reserve.

After last night, I decided that was done hurting the people I loved and I was beyond finished being a victim of my own mind.