Vampire Kings

CARLISLE'S ROOMLights glow from inside the beautiful house

CARLISLE'S ROOM
Lights glow from inside the beautiful house. An eighteenth century oil painting depicts Grecian figures in swirling robes writhing among pillars and balconies. In a high balcony, four calm figures look down upon the bacchanal; two black haired, one snowy white, one golden haired. "The Volturi are a very old, very powerful family," a voice says behind Jane, "the closest thing my world has to royalty."

Jane studies the painting - the largest on a wall crowded with pictures. The other walls are towering bookshelves. She wears a black velvet dress with black and white, striped socks and combat boots. It's similar to what she always wears in the comic books. "Francesco Solimena painted this; he often depicted the Volturi as Gods," Edward continues, standing next to her. "God," she scoffs, shaking her.

She's quick to notice the golden haired man. "Is that... Carlisle," she asks, pointing to the man in the painting. Edward nods his head and replies, "Yes. He lived with them for a few decades. He describes them as very refined - for killers. The Volturi are also what you might call enforcers."

"Of what," she asks, turning to face him. "The only rule they have: to keep secret the existence of our kind," he answers. A chill runs down her spine as she continues to look at him. Catching herself amazed by his presence, she turns and points to the painting. Her eyes linger on the painting before she slightly jolts forward.

"May I," the Hangman's Daughter asks, pointing to the painting. He looks confused for a moment but he nevertheless nods. The depressing alter presses her palm against the piece of art as the vampires' features begin to fill in.

Edward's lips part as the painting begins to move. The Volturi turn to leave the balcony through an archway. Edward and the Hangman's Daughter's eyes follow them into a circular, white, marble hall. It's noticeably day time. The hall looks centuries old. It's marble is cracked and weathered. The open oculus in the domed ceiling is the only source of light. The room is empty but for three large wooden chairs and half a dozen vampires standing in elegant 18th century attire.

Two of the Volturi, Marcus and Caius, take their seats. Carlisle stands beside them. Aro moves to the center of the room, revealing a rogue vampire on his knees. He looks feral compared to the others, and terrified. Aro puts his hands on either side of the Rogue's face. Aro then slowly, dispassionately, rips the rogue's head off. Two Volturi Guards, Felix and Demetri, appear on either side, holding him down as Aro easily detaches the head and tosses it aside. He calmly sits as the others tear the Rogue limb from limb. Carlisle has to look away. The painting stops moving and it becomes still.

"I remember that day," Carlisle says from behind them. The Hangman's Daughter turns around and leaves to go to the Underground, replaced by Jane. Behind her and Edward stands the Cullen family. "His wife had gotten attacked by an army. One day he tracked them down and found them. There were too many of them for him to handle. So, he paid the Volturi a visit and threatened to expose his kind if they didn't grant his wish to kill him. They denied it. The next day he exposed himself in the sun and was finally killed by the Volturi," Carlisle continues.